Meta name is it required?

I understand that the meta name tag
Is to be page responsive. Is that for mobile devices also? And is this required of every HTML file? I am currently trying to make a standard wire frame for practice?

First, let’s clear up some terms to avoid further confusion:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
  • name="" , content="" , etc. are called attributes. For example, in other elements you can have class="" attributes.
  • <meta> is referred to as a tag. A tag is the keyword, attributes, and brackets. You can have <div> tags, </p> tags, etc.
  • The two tags, and content together are considered an element. This is not relevant to meta, as it does not have a closing tag, nor content in between two tags.

More info:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200508/html_tags_vs_elements_vs_attributes/

Hopefully this clears things up for us. “Meta name tag” is rather ambiguous, and I am not exactly sure whether you are referring to the whole meta tag, or to the name="" attribute on meta, or what you mean by “name” and “tag” or “name tag”.

Let’s assume you are referring to the name attribute in a meta tag like below:

<meta name="">

This is not required in all meta tags, like <meta charset="UTF-8">, but it is obviously needed for most meta tags to specify what it is for.

Now let’s assume you meant the meta tag. These are not required on your page; however, they greatly make your website better for visitors. Let’s take a look at some of them and why they help the visitors to your site:

<meta name="description" content="Meta help">

This meta tag with the name of description let’s people who find your site on a search engine know what your page is about.

Probably the most important meta tag is what is commonly referred to as the “viewport meta tag”:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

This is almost a must on any page, albeit not required, and makes the website display correctly on mobile devices.

Are meta tags required? No. Are the useful? Absolutely. Use them!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I didn’t realize that I was so lost on this one. I greatly appreciate your explanation!

1 Like