Missing Old Code/Solutions From Completed Challenges

Hi,

I’m having an issue where on the curriculum it shows a green checkbox next to the challenges I’ve completed. However, once I click those I am unable to see my past solutions.

I’m also confused as to why I am able to login through my github on learn.freecodecamp, but when trying to use the forum.freecodecamp.org I have to make a new account, also authorized through github. However the forum.freecodecamp account shows no previous info all the challenges I’ve had. Could this be the issue as to why I can’t see my old solutions?

I would really like to be able to go back to my solutions as a reference, so it’s frustrating that after completing the React tutorial all my work is reverted.

Thanks!

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and by looking at your public portfolio. The last submitted solution for challenges listed as projects can also be viewed from this page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache. Because FCC rolled out a completely new application, the old cached values are no longer valid. This is the same effect you would have if you cleared your browser cache. If you are completing lessons on the new site, and do not see your recent code, then something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

The forum and FCC are completely separate entities with different accounts. The platform that FCC uses for its forum (forum.freecodecamp.org) allows logging in with GitHub credentials. FCC (learn.freecodecamp.org) no longer supports logging in with GitHub credentials. All users must login using their email address.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I took the advice of others and tried to access my solutions through my public portfolio. I am able to see an entire list of completed challenges on my public portfolio, along with the green checks next to it, but when I click those challenges my old solutions are not there. It ends up being the same challenge with the ‘change your code here’ text.

The challenges that are listed as projects have solutions saved to your profile. You can see your last accepted solution from your settings page:

I believe that FCC no longer stores solutions to all 1401 lessons for its million-ish user accounts.

I’m trying to complete the CSS portion of the challenges, but do not see my past answers from where you told me to go to the settings page.

As FCC has grown, it now consists of 1409 individual challenges and gets roughly 3 million visits per month. They can’t keep every solution to every challenge for every user. As of the changes this summer, only the project solutions are saved by FCC. To help users who want to keep a history of their solutions, the new curriculum gives you the option to download your solution upon the completion of every challenge.