More about the Survey: List of Interesting Facts by SamAI-Software

Did you know that…?

How many hours per week did respondents say they spend learning to code?

• Half of respondents said they spend on average 6 hours per week learning coding.
  • About 20% of respondents said they spend more than 20 hours per week learning coding.
  • Only 10% of respondents said they spend at least 40 hours per week learning coding.

40 HOURS PER DAY (EDIT: WEEK) LEARNING!!! That is a lot, don’t you think?

About how many months have you been programming?

• 28% of respondents have 2 or more years of programming experience

More than a 1/4 of the respondents (they were NOT only FCC members, by the way…). What about the rest??

Check this link for details!

Or discuss some of these results here in the FCC Forum?

Data Science Room

2 Likes

I think it should say 40 hours a week :wink:

2 Likes

I WISH I could do this for 40 hours! … Right now, I probably get in at least 6-10 hours a week. I started tinkering really passively before having the faith that maybe I could do this at this stage of the game (older, single parent, bla bla bla) so while I have been at it for maybe 6 months or so, I would say only the last 2 months or so has been focused.

I HAVE however been debating scheduling my coding time first thing in the morning so it’ll be easier to track my hours put in, and then all else throughout the day is ‘gravy’. Someone should make an app for that. :yum: (ya know, the tracking hours of coding practice, reading etc.).

1 Like

actually, now that I’m thinking about it, wouldn’t it be cool if I could click a timer when I logged on to FCC, and then when I logged off, it would take that time and log it for me in a sort of , idk, “class attendance” type of notepad.

Just some little button on the top bar of the screen you can hit before you begin going through the questions and then hit again when you’re done putting in your time. and then, when you click to see your previous days shaded, it would be more meta by providing how many hours you put in that week?

because right now, it shades in the day whether I do one question or twenty …

just thinking out loud I suppose …

2 Likes

matiasvj
Thanks! corrected…

fairco!
If you are doing 6 hours per week, you are doing as most of the people… 40 hours per week would be ideal though… I think I do about… 15?

2 Likes

Wow, during the week I can only get in 2 hours of coding, but on the weekends I usually can get in 10 hours.
I think 40 hours a week is a lot and I know I won’t be able to retain that much information. It would be impossible for me to attempt anything over 20 hours that with me working.