My Drum Machine project completed

Hello everyone, this is my Drum Machine Project !

Id love to hear your opinions on its appearance and if you find any crucial coding errors(or minor ones, but im sure those are there :)).

I took the functionality concept from the example project, but i managed to bring it to life using minimum reference to the example code.

Many things i learned while building it, ofc mainly the React concept and how to better utilize ES6 syntax with it, to shrink the code. Ive improved a lot my object oriented and functional programming skills.

1 Like

HI @Sylvant !

I think your project looks good.

Once you complete the last two projects you should look into react hooks and getting familiar with that.

I just started reading though documentation and playing around with some of the examples. But I think it would be good to know.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion and for checking my project @jwilkins.oboe !
Ill certainly look into this new React approach, it does look like my cup of tea :wink:

Hey, this is really nicely done. Congrats. I’ve got a few picky suggestions.

• When using the keyboard, the sound plays as soon as I press the key down, which is exactly what I would expect. But when using the mouse the sound doesn’t play until I let up on the mouse button. I was expecting it to play as soon as I clicked down.
  • You do have keyboard focus indicators, but to be honest they are not quite prominent enough to be accessible. You have to look really hard to see them. I would make them a little more prominent.
  • You should probably have a <main> wrapping this and give it an <h1> to make it really accessible.
  • If you want to use a <button> for the toggle switch on the sound banks then you’ll need to do some work behind the scenes to make it accessible: ARIA: switch role - Accessibility | MDN. This also applies for the power button.

Hey @bbsmooth , thanks for the detailed observation
Now as you mention the sound plays differently with ui button release and keyboard button down, it does make sense to make them behave similar. I stuck to the basic approach and attach the html button function event onClick , but your comment provoked me to research and discover there is onMouseDown, which is similar to the event listener i use for keyboard keydown. So i just replaced onClick with onMouseDown in my button element, which is the mother of all buttons in my app and it was sufficient to fix it! :smiley:
I have made the keyboard focus indicators more prominent. I was afraid it might look ridiculous so i didnt make it so initially.
Can you elaborate more on the effect of <main> and do you mean to add a title by giving it <h1>?
I was not familiar with the ARIA switch buttons. Ill have it in mind for future projects

EDIT: ok, i had to chance the onMouseDown because it only works with mouse, but not keyboard. Instead o changed the event keydown to keyup which isnt perfect, but at least keyboard and mouse act consistently now

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.