Need a Personal advice

Hey guys so I’m learning HTML AND CSS and I’m now currently making a project which is a survey form and when I was making one I tend to look more on other people codes and copy them and even on CSS

Would you still call it as learning? I feel like after copying other codes I didn’t really much learn at all

Hi @TechCoder ,you don’t have to worry if you copy from other codes, many programmers do it, the important thing is that you understand the logic behind it.
If you are afraid of not learning by copying, try rehearsing maybe changing something from what you saw.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey, Thank you very much! Just the thing I need :blush:

1 Like

I strongly disagree with @camcode . While it’s true that learning to read other people’s code is a very important skill to master, reading and understanding code are a different skillset than writing code.

1 Like

I’m sorry to disagree with me @ArielLeslie, but some of the promoters who taught me, copied by others, obviously it’s up to you to understand the logic behind it.
Obviously I didn’t mean that one has to copy the code and paste it.
:bowing_woman:

What you are doing is robbing yourself of an opportunity to struggle, learn, and grow. In video games, you don’t gain XP by bypassing enemies, you have to combat opponents of a higher level than you.

A great way to truly learn by “copying” is what I do: try to re-create the example WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE CODE. This isn’t a design course, nor a test of your creativity. Plus, looking at website and being able to guess accurately how it was done is a huge skill, because when you do have a creative thought in your mind’s eye, you’ll have practice coding what you see, whether on a screen or in your imagination.

You already know that this is true, because you yourself said that you “didn’t really much learn at all.” What you do at this juncture will determine your future. If you want soft, easy lies, then continue. If you want truth and challenge, you will succeed.

Go back and do all the projects over, without looking at the code. Only once you have gotten struggled, come ask for specific advice, just enough to see you through to the next obstacle. Then, try again. Like fifteen times, minimum. Re-read. Google. Then, ask here for specific advice. Rinse & repeat.

1 Like

If you’re not confident enough in your knowledge yet, practice on smaller problems by altering one variable, as @camcode suggested is a great idea. What I disagree with is his suggestion that you alter the code on example projects.

If you want to really understand HTML and CSS, you need to know what some common tags and styling mean, and know where to look up information and how to learn about new tag, tag attributes, and styling properties by playing around with their values.

W3Schools is great for that. For example, an important concept is the layout “box-model,” and if you go their page on the CSS box-sizing property, you’ll be presented with a big green “Try it” button. That will open up a playground that will let you run experiments by changing the values set there. They take care of the boilerplate so you can focus on learning the lesson, and if you mess up, you can just reset the code.

But please, save the example project code for AFTER you have built the stuff yourself. Since you say you don’t feel comfortable with the material, I highly suggest you run through the curriculum again. As every tag or property is presented, mess around with it in the FCC editor. If you want to know more (and I HIGHLY suggest this), google "w3 tag name or CSS property here", e.g.: “w3 div” or “w3 box-sizing”. I believe there is a demo for every single one. That’s how I learned.

you’re right, maybe I gave a wrong advice.
I just wanted to help, but I still have to learn.
:frowning_face:

Cheer up: You didn’t give completely wrong advice. Your advice about “tinkering with values”, when you said to “try rehearsing maybe changing something from what you saw” was actually really good advice. The error you made was the code to which to apply such experimentation. To “tinker and learn” best, the student (you included) should be presented just enough code that they can “mess around and break stuff” in safety (like on W3School’s demos, or in the FCC challenge waypoints), with an escape hatch of resetting the code in order to do it all over again. Just keep giving people this (modified) advice, and you’ll be doing a net good.

The projects are supposed to be challenging, as building something from scratch is a required skill, and even practicing overcoming that sense of being lost is a skill.

Good luck out there!

2 Likes