Nesting For Loops (Concept Confusing)

Tell us what’s happening:
I am having issues trying to understand this concept of multi-dimensional arrays and how they function. Specifically this statement that outputs the contents through console. This is what I know so far:

1. When everything is ran, the contents of the array are logged to console.
  2. The outer for statement will focus on the outside array.
  3. The inner for statement will focus on the sub arrays.
  4. When the outer for statement is ran and the condition is met, the next one starts.
  5. When the inner for statement runs the condition is checked, met, and the inner code is ran.
  6. So, with the inner for statements first loop, we get console.log(arr[0][0]), printing 1 to the console from the array and j is incremented to 1.
  7. Then, j is checked with it’s condition, met, and the inner code is ran again console.log(arr[0][1]), printing 2 to the console.
  8. So, j’s condition is still not met (j which is 1 < arr[0].length which is 2), and j is still not greater than the length of the sub array (arr[i].length) which is 2, so it loops again.
  9. Now, with the second loop j is now 2, and now the condition is met because 2 is not less then 2, and the outer for statement is ran.
    Now, here is where my issue begins. If the outer loop is now 1 due to the increment, and we jump back down to the inner for statement j is still 2.
    If we continue to loop with the inner loop, j will continue to rise above 2, and it will not be able to pick up the other sub array.
    Why can I not understand this? Does the inner-loop reset after it’s condition is met? If so, why is this not specified ANYWHERE on the curriculum.

Outside Array Order: 0 1 2
[
[1, 2], Inner Array Order: 0 1
[3, 4], Inner Array Order: 0 1
[5, 6] Inner Array Order: 0 1
]
Your code so far

var arr = [
  [1,2],
  [3,4],
  [5,6]
];
for (var i=0; i < arr.length; i++) {
  for (var j=0; j < arr[i].length; j++) {
    console.log(arr[i][j]);
  }
}

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-javascript/nesting-for-loops

Let’s call them i loop and j loop

Every time that the code inside the i loop is run, it is run in all it’s parts, changing just i

The first thing a loop does is initialise its variable, so at every time the code inside the i loop is ran, the first thing that the j loop does is var j = 0

This is explained when the various parts inside the () parenthesis of a for loop are described

To visualise it you can use this: http://www.pythontutor.com/

Just choose JavaScript tutor from somewhere in that page

That website is amazing at giving you a visual of the code, which is what I really needed to understand it fully. Thank you for the resource and the help!