Nesting for loops cannot understand example code

Tell us what’s happening:
I tried my best to figure out how this code works out. So I just don’t understand, after first loop i = 1 (because of that i++)? But that’s not correct, because then arr[i][j] should show 1 4 instead of 1 2 3 4 5 6

**Your code so far**

const arr = [
  [1, 2], [3, 4], [5, 6]
];

for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
  for (let j = 0; j < arr[i].length; j++) {
    console.log(arr[i][j]);
  }
}
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/99.0.4844.74 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Nesting For Loops

Link to the challenge:

Looking at how i and j changes might give better idea what is happening - replace the current console.log call with: console.log(i, j);

2 Likes

Hi there!
arr[i][j] will output 1 item (integer 3), since we have a two-dimensional array.
This is how it works:
arr[1] is the 2nd array, it’s [3, 4] and arr[1][0] will output an element at [0] index of [3, 4] array.

So, arr[i][j] is the correct syntax to access an individual item in a two-dimensional array. [i] is accessing the inner array and [j] is accessing the item in the inner array.
Hope this helps!

1 Like

I tried that and console output is
0 0
0 1
1 0
1 1
2 0
2 1

The thing i don’t understand is how [j] becomes equal to 0 once again. isn’t j++; supposed to make it greater than what it already is?
And why [i] equals to 0 after [j] equals to 1, wasn’t [i] supposed to become 1 too?

A new j loop is being started on each iteration of the i loop. Try this code:

const arr = [
  [1, 2], [3, 4], [5, 6]
];

console.log('\n* i loop, i =', i)
    console.log('*** j loop, j =', j)
    console.log('*** value = arr[' + i + '][' + j + ']', arr[i][j]);
  }
}
1 Like

This is what nesting does, for each iteration of the outer loop, the inner one loops until the breaking condition is met.

console.log(i, j);
  }
}

i.e. Outer loop - i == 0, inner loop will run from j == 0 to j < arr[i].length. After that outer loop goes to the next iteration, with i == 1, and inner loop, again runs from start to the end.

1 Like

So basically once inner loop reaches its’ breaking point, only after that outer loop begins

Now i think i understand, thanks!

I would say that the outer loop starts an iteration where the inner loop does a complete set of iterations, the the outer loop does its next iteration where the inner loop does a complete set of iterations, the outer loop does is next iteraion.

It’s like a clock, 12 hours, 60 minutes each hour.

for (let hour = 0; hour < 12; hour++) {
  for (let min = 0; min < 60; min++) {
    waitSixtySeconds()
  }
}

For each hour, 60 minutes will tick by and the minutes will restart on each hour, for each iteration of the outer loop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.