New to back-end. Basic Questions

Hi FCC, I’ve been programming in vanilla JS for about 3 months now, I feel like I’m starting to get a pretty decent grasp of it .I feel like I’m ready to take a bigger step and learn a little bit more. I have a basic practice idea but I don’t really know where to begin with it so i was hoping someone here could help me.

The Idea : A simple order page with a food item. When the order is placed, the data from food item is sent to a database (or server or some place it can be read) .

What I’m asking of you guys: Can you assemble me a list of what I would need to make this happen? Frameworks? Programs? And then tell me why I would need said frameworks and programs and what their job would be be in executing this idea.

Thank you!

Why not continue on with the FCC program? It has a section called APIs and MicroServices which will basically give you the tools you need. You’ll learn Node, Express, and Mongo - one of many possible stacks to accomplish what you want. That is the point of the FCC path - to leave you with a basic understanding of all the basic tools you’ll need.

1 Like

That’s true, but I usually perfer using books as my study resources for JS. I mostly just use FCC for the forums. I always end up forgetting how deep the FCC curriculum goes. Is there a good book that anyone knows about that goes in depth on JS’s backend?

Javascript itself does not have a back-end, you should REALLY, REALLY continue with the free code camp courses so you can have a better idea of what back-end is to begin with.

Well, JS does bo back end, as Node.JS. But I agree that sticking to a program is good - too many people that self teach end up with holes in their knowledge, in my experience.

1 Like

Ok, I think I’m going to start dipping my toes into the backend frameworks. I just checked out the section you referred to kevinSmith, it looks solid. Do you feel like you learned a lot when you went thorough that section yourself?

Yeah, like all things FCC, it’s not meant to be comprehensive, but it does make a good framework. You have to do a little side research sometimes, but it’s a good path. Honestly, I would recommend just doing the FCC path - when you get done, you have a good MERN stack and a basic understanding of how things fit together.