parseInt() radix?

let me get this straight the radix is used to tell parseInt which type of number system to use?
this is what i wrote in the function it still did not work, i’m not sure how the radix works tho

return ParseInt(str, 10);

function convertToInteger(str) {

}

convertToInteger("10011");

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.190 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Use the parseInt Function with a Radix

Link to the challenge:

Yes, the radix in the second argument of parseInt is the base, or type of number system that the string will use to parse out a number. If you use do parseInt(str, 10) on “10011”, it would become the number 10011.

I can’t be sure, but if you’re getting an error from the exact line of code you pasted in, it’s probably because you capitalized the P: parseInt is the name of the built-in function, not ParseInt.

The question is asking you to assume that the string “10011” represents a binary number, and convert it to a decimal base 10 number using parseInt. Since it represents a binary number, you would use 2 as the radix argument in parseInt.

It should return 19, since “10011” in binary represents 2^4 + 0^3 + 0^2 + 2^1 + 2^0 = 16 + 2 + 1 = 19.

Also, please note that your

statement is outside your function body instead of within. And, don’t forget to change the “P” in ParseInt to lowercase “p”

It’s also worth noting that if you want your number to be in base 10, then you can omit the radix value. It will use base 10 by default.