Profile Lookup - struggling with last test

Hi,

I’ve been struggling with figuring out why my solution isn’t clearing all the tests. It won’t pass the final test. Even though when I look at my console log, it is testing as “No such property.” Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

function lookUpProfile(name, prop){
// Only change code below this line
var checkName = true;
var checkProp = true;

for (var i = 0; i < contacts.length; i++) {
        if ((name === contacts[i]["firstName"]) && (contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop))) {
            console.log(contacts[i][prop])
            return contacts[i][prop];
        } else if (name !== contacts[i]["firstName"]) {
            console.log("No such contact");
            checkName = false;
        } else if (!contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop)) {
            console.log("No such property");
            checkProp = false;
        }
    }

if (!checkName) {
        return "No such contact";
    }
    if (!checkProp) {
        return "No such property";
    }

// Only change code above this line
}

lookUpProfile("Akira", "address");

I moved your question to its own topic because you were asking a question related to your own code for a challenge and were not answering the OP of the other thread. It is always best to create your own thread for you specific question(s). Also, it is advisable to use the Ask for Help button on the challenge, so it auto-populates with your current code and the challenge url.

Thank you.

1 Like

Each time you run lookUpProfile, you’re looping through the contacts array.

Since you don’t return anything in the 2 else if statements, the loop will continue until something is returned. So potentially, the checkName or checkProp will get overwritten before you even reference them later on.

Thanks for taking a look. I ended up going in a bit of a different route. I started understanding that, like you mentioned, I was just resetting the value every time it was looping through.

spoiler

function lookUpProfile(name, prop){
// Only change code below this line
for (var i = 0; i < contacts.length; i++) {
if ((name === contacts[i][“firstName”]) && (contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop))) {
console.log(contacts[i][prop]);
return contacts[i][prop];
} else if ((name === contacts[i][“firstName”]) && (!contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop))) {
console.log(“No such property”);
return “No such property”;
}
}
console.log(“No such contact”);
return “No such contact”;
}

Everything now checks and makes sense. :slight_smile: Finally!! :slight_smile: :laughing:

1 Like