Querying MongoDB, but I can't send the response to the browser

I’m working on building an api using Mongoose and Express for storing data on my favorite records. I have the database set up and seeded with data, and I built the skeleton of the Express server. The issue I am having is with the /albums GET route.

I would like the router.get('/albums') function to fetch all the albums from the albums collection, and send a json object to the browser. To do this, I created a getAlbums function, and called it within my route handler. Here’s the code I wrote to do this:

async function getAlbums() {
    // .toArray() didn't solve my problem either
    const albumsQuery = await Album.find().toArray((err, data) => {
        if (err) return console.log(err);
        return data;
    });
    return albumsQuery;
}

When I run console.log(albumsQuery) within the getAlbums() function, I get the following output:

[ { _id: 5dc38170a78ad6389cf87eeb,
    title: 'Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley',
    artist: 'Nancy Wilson',
    year: 1962 },
    {...}, etc...
]

In my /albums route handler, I call getAlbum() and pass it to res.send(), but no matter if I use res.json(), res.send(JSON.parse(getAlbum), or any other data formatting, the data sent to my browser is either an empty object, or an error message. Here’s my current route handler function:

router.get('/albums', (req, res) => {
    let albums = getAlbums();
    res.status(200).send(albums);
});

Can anyone please help me debug this?