Questions & Advice

Hello Everybody, I’m Kameron, I have just a few questions. I’m currently a 19 year old in college for graphic arts but I’m thinking about switching to Computer Science or Computer Information Systems. Would an associates degree in one of those be enough to get a well paying job. My plan was to get an associates degree and use Freecodecamp to learn and get certificates, Would that be enough?

I’ve been looking everything up and I see a bachelors degree is preferred but I don’t want to be in college that long. Any advice on what I should do?

This completely depends on you. Some people may be able to get away with just an Associates degree, some people may be able to get away with no degree, others may need all four years. No one can really answer this question for you. But I don’t think you can ever go wrong with a full Bachelor’s degree (as long as you don’t go too far into debt to get it). Also, there is more to advanced education then just getting a degree in one specific area. A good liberal arts education has value in itself and will probably make you more attractive to potential employers because there is more to this line of work than just typing code. If you are only concerned about your computer skills and want to get a job as fast as possible then why even bother with college and just focus on online boot camps or whatever? But don’t be surprised if you find yourself being passed up by people with better degrees.

2 Likes