React - Can't access a property of an object stored in state?

I’m wondering if someone can explain to me why the following code does not work.

class App extends React.Component {
  constructor() {
    super();
    this.state = {
      data: []
    }
  }

componentDidMount() {
    fetch('https://www.omdbapi.com/?s=batman&plot=full&apikey=thewdb').then(response => {
      response.json().then(data => {
        //console.log(data);
        this.setState({
          data: data.Search
        })
      })
    })
  }

render() {
    console.log(this.state.data[0]);
    return(
      <h1>Working</h1>
    )
  }
}

ReactDOM.render(
  <App />,
  document.querySelector('div')
)

When I console.log(this.state.data[0]) it returns the object with a property of Title. But when I console.log(this.state.data[0].Title) it returns undefined.

How can I map over the object this.state.data the way that I would with a typical array?

The problem is that console.log(this.state.data[0]); gets called two times:

1. When the page first loads, before you have a chance to load data from the API.
  2. After the API request finishes and you call this.setState

I would check that data's length is greater than 0 before trying to use it. Try changing console.log(this.state.data[0]); to this:

if (this.state.data.length > 0) {
  console.log(this.state.data[0].Title);
}

Does that work how you want it to?

4 Likes

Yes, that did work. Thank you! I don’t understand why this works though?

Also, now that I can access this.state.data, how can I map over it to display the title of every object?

Thank you very much for the detailed response. That makes a lot of sense to me now.

Thank you so much, I’ve been stuck on this for embarrassingly long!

that work because wen page first time load your state is empty and u try console.log that is reason for error, but when u set condition u wait for load state on second render page when state inst empty console work…shortly

try use setState and useEffect in react 16 you don’t need classes