Sadly took a 3 month break from coding, how would you get back into it?

I was really determined and my goal was to be able to build stuff by now, but life and mainly my weak discipline (mental state) lead me to stop for a while. At times I was spending 3 hours on one problem.

I was halfway through the Intermediate Algorithm Scripting section. In your opinion what’s the best way to get back and stay back?

1 Like

Hi @am93 !

I feel like building projects with javascript and solving algorithms are two different skills.

Even though you are still working with the algorithm challenges, you can start building small projects with javascript now.
JavaScript 30 is a really popular resource for beginners looking to starting building projects.
You can look into that.

I feel like that is pretty normal for a lot of people.
Solving algorithms takes some time getting used.

I would start that project list so you can see how javascript can be applied to web pages.
Then you can also start back up with the intermediate section and come to the forum with your questions on the challenges.
You can also come to the forum and share your pseudocode for some of these challenges to see if your logic of the problem is correct.

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

You could start gradually. Begin with a 1 hour session , and increment the time gradually. Also, you can focus on the new content learned rather than the time it took. Learning is not a racing competition.
Finally, when you need to take breaks, try to diminish the lapse. You could take small breaks of one week every month for example. Remember, health is first.
Hope this helps.
Best Wishes

1 Like

awesome advice; will check out javascript30

Thanks for the advice on rest and taking breaks

Thank you @jwilkins.oboe @AndyG,

Yeah the problem is when I was struggling for a few weeks back to back along other non coding situations in my day, I eventually hit a point where I procrastinated and it led to a long break. My brain only has so much bandwidth to give in a day :confused:

I’ll do this moving forward and go back to past sections as a refresher if needed. I wonder if it’s like riding a bike where you’ll never forget things or if I may have forgotten. I guess starting with a project is a good way to know.

I’ll try the week break vs day break, perhaps a day isn’t enough sometimes!

This goes for learning anything - not just coding - but, focus on something that interests you. If you stopped halfway through because you found algorithms difficult or boring… do something else, learn about css or html, see something cool on a webpage? try and replicate it, or something similar. If you’re not interested and engaged you won’t learn effectively.

It’s not your discipline that’s the problem, if it is enjoyable you’ll want to do it. Don’t take it too seriously and sit for long periods, be curious and learn what interests you. Try to build a habit of just coding for 10 minutes a day or whatever works for you, then it just becomes part of what you do and you don’t have to rely on something as fickle as discipline.

Your future starts today, you can either focus on your goal and learn a bit more and get a bit better or spend your time on other things, it is up to you, and you get to make that choice each day. Learning to code is a marathon, not a sprint. You always feel like a beginner at times (at least I do), but it does get easier.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Thank you. At the time I was posting questions on the forum and the consensus was to struggle through it no matter what and become better, because if not I won’t be able to do the projects.

I think you have a point because it was taking me an extremely long period of time to just do 1 problem in intermediate algorithm. Even if that’s what coding is about, I’d rather spend 5 hours doing what I care about (ie building a website as I don’t even want to work as an engineer, I just want to build websites in react to test startup ideas).

My goal is to build website using js and I’m not there yet so I don’t know for sure but I’ll probably need api etc. Do you think it’s ok for me to skip certain sections or still work through all sections?

Then just do that. I built startup websites even without truly understanding all the nitty gritty of it. You learn as you go. It’s what people call Just-In-Time learning and if you’re not planning to become an engineer, you don’t have to torture yourself through all the basics / theory. I started that way, and then now I’m at the point where I want to do this as an engineer, so I’m learning the basics and filling in all my knowledge holes.

You might get to where I am one day, at which you’ll be better equipped to do all the intermediate algorithms because you already have a strong basis with building websites. But if not, then you’re still good. Ditch the algorithms and theory, just go straight to building websites.

I started with Meteor JS because it allowed me to build websites without digging too deep into devops and deployment. I still did API calls and DB but all the nitty gritty deployment was handled by Meteor. So you can look into that if you just want to build websites. The other things will come as you build more and more complex sites.

1 Like

Just do it. Period. No excuses.

The consensus was to not copy the work of others and to ask for help whenever you got stuck. That’s good advice.

Yes, I posted questions for each problem I needed help with and each had about 20-40 comments. I remember at times I spent up to a whole day working through them. I had finished half of the final js section before stopping.

Do you have any thoughts on the suggestions from @sgedye & @nikkiczx ?

You could try solving some questions just to brush up your memory.

if you’re thinking of starting the section all over again, don’t. Otherwise you’ll most likely continue in the same cycle…

1 Like