Score - The OMDB and Spotify Integration App

Score - The OMDB and Spotify Integration App

Hey all,

I’ve been working on this as a way to attract the attention of a potential employer. My goal was to integrate the OMDB and Spotify APIs in an interesting, just-barely-non-trivial way. I’d appreciate some input, especially if you have a Spotify account (you won’t be able to do anything without logging in). This isn’t so much of a bug-hunt as it is just a general usability test. So, feel free to let me know if something doesn’t work right, but don’t feel like you need to break anything. I have two questions I’d like to address:

1. Is the app too ugly? It’s clearly not going to win design awards, but does it put you off enough to make you not want to use, or even look at, the app?
  2. Does the app make sense? I’m intentionally keeping the app’s description vague in this post so I can know if the instructions are sufficient to guide the user to log in and use it.

Any input is grand. I’ve been staring at this for so long that I can’t even see it anymore, so input from a fresh set of eyes would help me sleep tonight.

https://get-score.herokuapp.com/

Hi,

Most of the spotify functionality doesn’t seem to work at all for me…

When I create a new playlist I see an error in the console:

TypeError: optionTemplate is not a function
    at controller.getPlaylists.then.data (full_script.js:114)
    at <anonymous>

The popup doesn’t disappear, but when I reload the page, I can see that the playlist was actually added.

When clicking the play icon on one of my playlists, I get the following error:

TypeError: _ is null

And when clicking on a single track (from my playlist):

TypeError: p.track.track_resource is undefined

Also, clicking on “Add to playlist” doesn’t work, though it shows “Added to playlist”.

I hope all those errors only happen on my side. I tested it with Chrome, FireFox and Opera, but none worked.

To answer your questions:

1. The app looks really nice! I would be pretty happy with it, if I had made it. Some very tiny things: I would personally add some margin to the content in the navbar, to push it away from the sides. And you could probably give the playlist viewer the same width as the dropdown with playlists.

2. The biggest issue in my opinion is the lack of information once you are logged in. My attention was directly drawn to the login link, so I logged in before I read the text, so it didn’t make too much sense. But when you see one of your playlist and a “+” button behind a track, everybody can guess what is going to happen.

YESSSSSSS. Perfect input 10/10. Issue should be resolved. The problem was that I’m kind of a ninny and didn’t test playlist creation after adding Handlebars templates. It’ll also stop the user from adding tracks if there are no playlists.

Thanks a billion!