Seeking Portfolio feedback before publishing, please!

Hi StereotypicalCat,

Awesome constructive feedback, thank you! I am going to take time tomorrow to go through each suggestion and comments from everyone so far and post back up here.

The smooth scroll was so simple, I was surprised:

html {
  scroll-behavior: smooth;
}

:slight_smile:

You’re absolutely right, I should make use of the color palettes that are already out there for the choosing - I don’t really have a great sense of color choices yet.

The form doesn’t work yet - I will enable an email script once the page is up on my live site. I’ll update the cursor style as you suggest. For the message field, I wanted to have the field be taller than the others to show that it is a textarea field with lots of room to type. Perhaps you are right and I should make the initial size the same as the others…I’ll play with it.

Thanks again for taking the time!
Steve

you could use developer tools to emulate devices.

Nice look
I really like how you keep the nav bar static.

is there a link to the code.

1 Like

Hi ChrisCline1138,
Thanks for responding! Based on all the feedback, it’s definitely clear to me I need to do more testing in different resolutions. I knew the devtools could do this, but kinda forgot. :slight_smile:

The code is on my github: https://github.com/stevegallant/portfolio.

If I may ask to learn, what do you like about the look? What do you think of the colors and oval’ish theme?

thanks!
Steve

I did like the color scheme. It seems keeping with the times.
As others have pointed out there is a bit of white space but it is no big deal because soon you will have more content to put there.

I don’t like that the nav bar goes away at 500px .

1 Like

Thanks ChrisCline1138, I guess color is just very subjective. I’ll try a few alternatives to see if other schemes look better to me.

When you say

I don’t like that the nav bar goes away at 500px .

Would you suggest a larger or smaller breakpoint for the change to the hamburger menu?

thanks!
Steve

Hi Steve, I noticed that on the Activity Club Survey at the <textarea> when you click onto the editor it will jump to a new line, under “Any Comments or Suggestions?”. I don’t know if it is a feature you make on purpose. Also, It would be awesome if the “Speak out” button is bigger, both in font-size and the button’s size.

1 Like

I would remove your social media links from the top, you want people to stay on your site, not go to linkedin/github right away :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi petercrackthecode,
Thank you very much for taking time to comment! When I click into that textarea on the survey form, the cursor starts right at the beginning of the placeholder text, as one would expect. When I start typing it correctly overwrites the placeholder. Are you saying something different happens for you? What browser are you using, if I may ask?

I will follow your suggestion on the button size and font - it’s amazing what you can miss when your head is down in the weeds until someone points it out. Thanks!

Steve

Actually@Ronnehag, my target reader is potential employers and I’d like them to go wherever they need quickly to decide on hiring me! :slight_smile:

My thought was that on a resume, you absolutely need to put all your contact info right near the top to make it easy for recruiters/hiring managers to find that info. I figured the second “page” was a good compromise. I will think on it a bit - thank you for the suggestion!

Anybody else reading this have opinions on where the contact links should first be seen?

Steve

Ok, Steve.

Here is the problem I got: https://vimeo.com/308884473

As you see the <textarea> jump onto a new line.

I’m using Google Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98.
I tried your survey on Safari, and it works just fine, without jumping to a new line. So I think it is browser compatibility.

1 Like

Wow, that’s crazy! :smiley:

Hi Steveg, I’m on the iPhone 5 and for me the top and bottom section seems too much on the right- I’ll try to include a screenshot.


I would also correct mistakes in English.
Otherwise - keep up the good work:)

1 Like

Hello Eva,
Thank you for the feedback! I will look into and fix the alignment on that project page asap.

Did you see some specific grammar mistakes I made?

thanks,
Steve

Hi Pantelya,
Short and to the point, thanks for the feedback! Enough people have mentioned the color scheme that I’m going to try out a couple alternatives and post back up here.

What specifically do you mean by “border eggs”, please? Thanks,
steve

Hi Steve.
Apologies. Grammar mistake is Only 1 i guess - „am” as marked.
Your text is OK for a forum post but I would change some things in order to publish it on s website. That’s my opinion of course, I just assume having a well written intro would make a good impression…
Things I would change:
Abbreviated forms to full forms
Sysadmin is not a word
Repetition of “and”
Remove the bit about learning more, it goes without saying
In essence, the intro is a bit sloppy for me. I would like to see something that makes me ready to pick up the phone because my team needs a junior developer. Or rather, you need to have that HR recruiter drop off his chair. He need to know he you’d be an asset to the company he’s working for.

1 Like

Hi Eva,
All welcome advice, thank you very much. I was trying to strike a certain informal tone here (since the resume must be a bit more formal by convention), but I see many of the points you are making.

I would like to see something that makes me ready to pick up the phone because my team needs a junior developer. Or rather, you need to have that HR recruiter drop off his chair.

Don’t we all!! Do you have the magic recipe for this? I’m buying… :slight_smile:

thanks again!
Steve

1 Like

Hi! If you still looking for optimizing your landing page I would reccomend a video course “conversion-optimization” by Isaac Rudansky. He is good) it’s video course and all you need is like 2 hours every evening for a week. Good luck!

1 Like

Maybe you should use different pages for Welcome, About, Projects, Contact.

1 Like

I see you’ve already implemented a LOT of feedback and the page looks much better than some previous screenshots already, well done! You’ve put in an impressive amount of work.

I cannot help with coding as I’m a complete beginner, so I will only talk about the visuals: the “send” oval has a different shape (proportions) than all the other ovals. Ovals generally don’t look very “serious” (they would work for some fun project, website targeted at children etc., though!), but if you like them, I think it will be a great improvement to have them look the same. :slight_smile:

I would also decide if you want to use Capitalized sentences ("Enter your name, * All fields required) or no (your name, send), it will look nice if they all match.

I hope it helps!

1 Like

Hi Forest,
Thanks for your suggestion! Was there something specific about the layout that made you wish there were separate pages?

thanks,
Steve

1 Like