Show element when scroll down - Uncaught TypeError: $ is not a function

Hi Friends!

I am trying to create a sticky button which shows up when scrolling down for 100px, but I have problems to figure out whats wrong with the code. First I thought it is because of Wordpress and I need to fix something there because I use a custom html element and additional css, but I got back an error from the console.

HTML:

<div id="sticky-cta" class="sticky-cta hide">
    <button>Click here</button>
     <p><i>Some text here</i></p>
</div>

CSS:

.sticky-cta {
    position: fixed;
    display: inline;
    right: 20px;
    top: 20px;
    z-index: 10000;

transition: all 1s;
}

.hide {
    opacity:0;
}
.show {
    opacity:1;
}

.sticky-cta button {
    font-family: 'Proxima Nova Bold - OTF';
    background-color: #C79C60;
    border: none;
    padding: 18px 32px 18px 32px;
}

.sticky-cta p {
    font-family: 'Proxima Nova Light - OTF';
    background-color: #047FC7;
    color: #fff;
    border: none;
    padding: 5px 32px 5px 32px;
}

JAVASCRIPT:

<script>
    $(document).scroll(function() {

myID = document.getElementById("sticky-cta");

var myScrollFunc = function () {
            var y = window.scrollY;
            if (y >= 100) {
                myID.className = "sticky-cta show"
            } else {
                myID.className = "sticky-cta hide"
            }
        };

window.addEventListener("scroll", myScrollFunc);
    });
</script>

This is the error message from the console:

Can anyone help?

It doesn’t like the $ - is this a copy-paste from somewhere? The dollar sign is normally an indicator of the jQuery library. Are you calling that in?

@snowmonkey No I am not calling JQuery and yes it is an example copy and paste code.

I miss the understanding for the right syntax, so I can just try and error until I go crazy. I can also searching for another code example which works, but I think it is just a tiny little syntax error :flushed:

$(...).scroll() is a jQuery specific function, used to scroll the viewport to a particular page position.

Seems to me there are two possible fixes: short-term, add a script tag to add the jQuery library, or long-term learn to code the scrolling effect in plain javascript, removing the jQuery $ reference.

Each has pros and cons, and depends on your intent: are you trying to make this work asap, or are you trying to learn javascript?

1 Like

Oh I did not know that $(...).scroll() is a jQuery specific function, thanks for letting me know. Actually I never worked with jQuery and there are a lot of opinions around the web that it is not worth learning jQuery anymore… I love CSS and I like to style everything individual by myself if this makes sense…

I am learning JavaScript from the ground on, but it takes time and I need the solution as soon as possible, so it would be great if you have a hint for me how to solve this. In my opinion the code below the first line is correct, so I guess I just need to change the first line which declares a function?

Edit: Maybe I dont even need the first line, I already declared a function var myScrollFunc = function () and I grab the html elements by .getElementById, so what is missing here?

Try simply removing the opening $.scroll line, and the closing parenthesis. See what happens.

1 Like

Awesome that helps!! Thanks :slight_smile:

The code looks like this now:

<script>

myID = document.getElementById("sticky-cta");

var myScrollFunc = function () {
            var y = window.scrollY;
            if (y >= 800) {
                myID.className = "sticky-cta show"
            } else {
                myID.className = "sticky-cta hide"
            }
        };

window.addEventListener("scroll", myScrollFunc);

</script>

But the problem now is that when I first open the website then the element is visible, when I scroll down and up again the element disappears. The element should not be visible when I first open the website, it should just be visible when someone scrolls down.

When I look at the code I dont understand why the element also shows up when the website opens the first time, because Y needs to be greater then 800px to show the element and when the website opens the first time Y is less then 800px.

I thought this happened because the <script> tag is not in the header, but when I put it in the header then it is not working…

Do you maybe know why that is?

Does it have the hide class when the page load?

So is sticky-cta the class, or the id? Or both? And do you need an explicit show class? I might simply:

myID.classList.add("hide");

// or
myID.classList.remove("hide");

Doing that, you’re simply toggling the one class you need, leaving the rest untouched.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.