Hey everyone,I’m happy to be part of the community. I’m new into tech and I aspire to become a very good software engineer but I get worried about my abilities to really understand everything I’ll be learning,I feel like I always mixed things up..
I’d like some advice on how to improve and appropriate steps to take on my journey in software development…
It’s like learning a foreign language. The best way to get better at it is to practice until it becomes natural. You can do this by building projects, even if no one else will ever see them.
The first part is learning about yourself, what types of learning do you enjoy doing the most (such as reading articles, watching short or long form videos, practicing coding), developing patience, and being kind to yourself.
The second part is learning the fundamentals. Even though you may not realise it at the time, everything you learn will be used later on when you do the next module, attempt a certificate project, sit the final exam, begin the next course, build a personal project, work for a company or client.
Although at times it can seem overwhelming, lots people have learnt to code from all walks of life, young people, elderly people, career switchers. Take lots of small steps, celebrate both wins and losses, and a rule of thumb I’ve seen is once you’ve retained 80% of the material, move on to the next thing.
If it helps, take notes on what you are learning. Review it regularly until you can recall most of stuff, then file it away where you can easily access it.
Don’t worry if you make mistakes, every developer makes them. What’s important is what you learn from them, so making lots of mistakes now will mean you’ve learn a lot.
If you have any questions about tech ask them on the forum.
That’s great news ! Well, i would suggest that to concentrate on your goals that you gonna achieve in future. Also , try to take the advices from everyone, it might be a beginner or a professional, because learning has no limits…Last but not the least, listen to those people who criticize you, hate you, etc. The reason is, more they criticize you, more you get to know your mistakes, and more you become better than yesterday…Happy journey
Your brain isn’t a hard drive man, so trying to hold HTML tags, CSS rules, JS syntax, and logic flows all at the exact same time in your head when you’re starting out is not as efficient as you think. and I don’t know anyone that does that to be honest maybe the top 1% but I don’t think it happens as much as you think.
you’re not bad at coding no one is you can do whatever you want to do. But running too many background processes in your head will literally make you thermal throttle and it’s overwhelming.
The first step will be Know you and how you learn things and what you wanna use coding for in the first place . whatever you want to learn and want to do, focus on only that solely for now so you don’t get analysis paralysis.
There’s a bunch of stuff out there for different people which one are you what do you want to create. then learn everything you need to create that.
Also I feel in my opinion most of the time
Nobody memorizes syntax.
Senior devs don’t know exact syntax off the top of their heads; we just know what words to search when we forget. If you know array filtering exists, that’s 90% of the job. You can look up .filter() on MDN in 4 seconds. Save your brain space for the actual logic. Problem solving is the major thing not actually structure and syntax. that stuff is on Google MDN or freecode camp
Stop trying to make it look pretty while making it work. make it work first I promise you that alone is 80% of the job refactoring comes later
If you’re learning JavaScript, write ugly code in a plain text file or a browser console. Don’t touch CSS. If you’re writing CSS, don’t worry about state management. The moment you mix “how do I loop this?” with “why is this div aligned to the left?”, your brain short-circuits.
Write uselessly small code.
Don’t build an app. Build a 4-line function that takes your name, turns it backwards, and prints it. If it works, close the tab, forget about it, and do another tiny stupid thing. You need quick hits to clean out the brain fog.
Once you get past the analysis paralysis , the anxiety and the imposter syndrome or how to work with it then focus on making cool stuff man. Just do your best to make something you’ll feel like a god when you’re done what do you think you’re struggling with he most now as a beginner?
Is your brain getting tangled in the syntax itself (mixing up JS and CSS brackets) or are you getting stuck on the actual logic (like knowing when to use a loop vs an array method)?
Also, get used to everything being broken, debugging isn’t the penalty for writing bad code it’s literally just what the job is. and it’s so fun . Wish you the best on your journey man