SQL In 4 Hours Course - MySQL Server 5.7 vs 8

Hi everyone. I’ve been watching the SQL Tutorial - Full Database Course For Beginners(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXV3zeQKqGY) on the FCC YouTube page. I want to go through it, as I think it will help with an upcoming promotional opportunity. However, I’m not sure exactly when the video was created, and the MySQL Server version he uses is 5.7, but the version available today is 8.0. Should I install the 5.7 version as I’m going through the course, or would I be ok to install 8.0? I don’t know the differences, as I’ve never learned SQL before, but I want to make sure I install the right thing. Thanks for your help.

If it was me, I’d install the newest version and be prepared to have to google a fair bit when I run into things that have changed.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think you want to use outdated software unless an employer or dependency chain is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do so.

1 Like

When it comes to the level of SQL you’ll be doing in a tutorial, you shouldn’t notice any differences between 5.7 and 8.0. You may as well install 8.0 and feel free to ask around (including here) if things break mysteriously.

1 Like

Great, thanks everyone.