Starting a React TypeScript project from scratch

Hi FCC,

One thing I noticed one year into my job was that I didn’t really know how to set up a project from scratch, I had just jumped in and began working on an existing project. While I have learned a lot and grown a lot since then, I feel like it’s important to know how to begin a project from scratch all the way to deploying it.

I recently wrote an article about how to start a React TypeScript project from scratch using webpack and babel. Doing this, instead of using create-react-app allows you to customize configuration on how you want your project to be built, bundled, etc. plus I believe it’s something everyone should experiment with because you don’t want to be using something like create-react-app forever.

For those of you that are interested, the article is on medium: https://medium.com/@dahvinchee/how-to-set-up-a-react-typescript-project-from-scratch-with-babel-and-webpack-6b069881229d

If anything is unclear in the article or you have any questions, please let me know and I’ll clarify in the comments and make appropriate additions/edits in the article. Hope this helps!

Vincent

2 Likes