The Basic Principles of Web Design: Introduction

A solution leads to another question.
Does it require a web designer to have enough knowledge of graphics design software at all?

1 Like

If you’re gonna be writing stuff you should publish on medium, I have a few articles that I put on my resume/cover letters that have helped land interviews (for infosec stuff, specifically, not for developer jobs yet). I’m pretty sure there’s even a part specifically for FreeCodeCamp, and way more people will see it!

2 Likes

@Madalena.design Cool idea. I am curious how it is going to unfold. I agree that it would be great to have web design covered in the fcc context. This cross-section between design and code is very interesting and right now with all the new possibilities in CSS3 layout and animation etc. … E.g. Just saw this keynote by a web designer who kinda lost his spark, but found a new interest in web layout with grid/flexbox and getting inspiration from magazine print layouts …

3 Likes

Hello @michaelsndr, do you have the idea of the book name, the speaker was trying to mentioning?

The video is helpful.

1 Like

In terms of applying for a job position where it required to have a skill in specific graphic software, yes.

But here is the thing. I am glad you asked because this is another misconception that the designers must know every single thing in the software. Again, not true (and I admitted fell for that misconception when I first got into designing).

Basically learning to use the software is like learning to code, we problem-solve whatever the task is.

We need to learn the basic like the tools and navigation of using the software (like coding, we need to learn the syntax and the concepts). But when it comes to creating something, we do not need to know what we are doing by heart, so if I wanted to create a text where it has a gradient effect of colours at the top then gradually at the bottom it fades out, I would either see if I could try out myself or I use google to problem-solve it by finding resources such as a tutorial or an article to do it.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, now I am clear about my question.
:smiley::grinning:

1 Like

I will definitely be planning to :slight_smile: I have to admit I was a bit wary of having a blog or writing articles as I am not sure if my writing style is clear and effective.

Yeah, I have heard it actually helps with the process of getting a job and I only learned this information…last week or the week before? Because of that, it has pushed me to be more determined in writing articles on Medium.

Thank you for the suggestion though, I actually appreciate it (giving that I am hoping you think my writing skills is decent enough to be doing it lol) :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see more of your helpful tutorial. I hope you won’t abandon us here and leave for medium alone? (lol)

1 Like

You have made two very good points.

Considering the learning process of design is different to the learning process of coding. Especially in FFC structure, where it is the section of explanation of a code, followed by a challenge usinf the editor.

However, you have just gave me an idea…even if we learn to design, we still have to translate the design to code in order to create a functional website right?

However, this will be up to FCC so let’s see what will happen! :smiley:

Considering, it is a long video, I will be watching this during lunch. I am looking forward to watching because of you have written, I can sort of relate to the web designer. I LOVE editorial design
and I have always wanted to implement the editorial layout to the web.

So, this is going to be a good fun to watch :smiley: Thank you very much for posting this! :blush:

Thank you very much for your response. I hope you will find the topics very valuable and helpful to your projects :blush:

You are very much welcome :slight_smile:

I will still be doing a good few topics. It also depends on how FCC will respond to the idea of including learning the principles of web design. However, regardless of what will happen in the future, I do plan to either set up a blog (be it Medium or other platforms) and write articles through there.

But I am more than happy to notify you (and other members that are interested) of new articles via here :slight_smile:

And more importantly, one step at the time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There is the applied visual design part of the curriculum which teaches a bit about design principles.

But it would be nice to have it updated and expanded on. The curriculum is open source and anyone can add to it. Have you considered contributing to the curriculum?

Here are the repo links to the current curriculum and the upcoming curriculum.

1 Like

Alright, Great!!!. Keep your dream alive and the sky is your beginning. Whichever way, be it medium or personal blog, I will like to be a follower and please feel free to mention it to me.

cheers,

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea. I think the importance of typography is often underestimated when it comes to create websites. Thereby a sensitive and appropriate choice of fonts, font-size, and typeface design can make a huge difference.

Thank you for going the extra mile. I’m looking forward to your tutorials, and I’m sure they will be awesome.

1 Like

This is a brilliant idea especially for someone like me who is working towards both web design and development :slight_smile: I do feel the design part is overlooked when creating websites sometimes so I think this would be really helpful! Thank you for going the extra mile to do this!! Your writing style and helpful guidance are always so clear so I’m looking forward to seeing these design topics from you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe that coding is a form of art, where the logic and syntax are much like a pencil or paintbrush. The developer (artist) is expressing him/herself through the code. :thinking:

For example, everyone’s code is idiosyncratic; meaning it is unique to each individual. The way they use indentation, comments, and organize their projects.

In fact, based on the MANY things you have taught me in your John Steinbeck Project and forum post, I developed my own CSS methodology. I believe how to develop your own methodology, by covering key concepts on BEM, Atomic CSS, SMACSS, and OOCSS could be a great addition to the curriculum.

Thanks to you, I am proud of my code! :smile: I am looking forward to sharing my own tribute page, which is influenced by yours.

For us to become amazing front-end web developers, I consider learning web design, an essential principle to understand. I fully support you on your journey to spread your extensive knowledge with the community. :grin:

If FCC needs more proof that the people want web design to be expanded upon by YOU, just know a multitude of us are here to support you in the future endeavors. :upside_down_face: I have personally witnessed change and inspiration caused by your work and excited to see what happens next!

3 Likes

Hey @lasjorg!

You are absolutely correct that is a curriculum for it :slight_smile:

However, I feel there is either gap in some areas - for example, there could be a lesson on branding or to discuss specific topics such as layout and how to get elements to work with each other.

But, I am unaware that the curriculum is open source so I will definitely check these out! Thank you for that! :blush:

FCC ditched Medium for a reason: they started paywalling content without the content creators’ permission. Blog anywhere, as long as it’s not Medium.

Thank you very much I appreciated this :slight_smile:

You are absolutely right on the spot. This is actually one key thing I have noticed there are not enough in-depth information or resources (especially for non-designers ) on the fundamentals of typography.

This also applies the same to composition, layout, and white spacing too.

Thank you, I appreciated this a lot, as I go through every topic that I will write, if you have any suggestions or tips, feel free to comment as it would be great :blush: