The JS course feels like it's missing something

I just finished the basic JS class and I started the ES6 class and I feel like I missed an entire class. The methods that are discussed in ES6 are never mentioned in Basics which leads me to think that I missed a class.

I’m not sure I understand. The purpose of the ES6 section is to teach new syntax.

I might be able to relate here. When I first started learning Javascript was while React was still very young or not around yet and jQuery was prominent. I was one and still am a proponent of learning the basics before proceeding to deeper concepts. I am still very much a beginner and continue to learn more each day.

Granted, this course has changed a bit and I haven’t seen the most updated version but, When I was first learning I remember first seeing ES6 Syntax and thinking that it was jQuery and strayed way from even learning it. ES6 seems cheap and gimmicky when you first see it, especially if you truly understand how functions were written using previous syntax.

Languages evolve and as it does browsers need to adapt and developers must learn the newer syntax. It’s not that you are missing anything, you just are seeing the gap in a generation of developers writing JavaScript, and freaking out a little bit.

Take a look at JavaScript: Understanding the Weird Parts if you want to understand more of the ways older syntax worked and how ES6 makes our lives eons easier than developers before us.

I apologize that my answer is incredibly off course from answering the author’s actual question. In the defense of this course, JS just changed, and the old way still exists and you need to know what you are seeing. Everything you are learning today will be erased tomorrow.

I think ES6 is all about the newly updated syntax.
Of course, what you say is understandable.
When I went through ES6, felt as if the syntax that was meant to minimise effort made things a bit more complicated.
However, when I reached more ahead, Javascript became more friendly.
Just Hustle and go ahead

Ok, I think you guys miss-understood my issue, let me restate with examples.
when I read a session sometimes the it says things like Array.prototype.slice(), or reduce(), or map(), as if I’m suppose to know what that is. The basics was fine it’s just that I don’t remember ever seeing map() or the other methods.

Do you have specific examples of this that include links to the exact lessons?

In this one the function apply() is mentioned without explanation of what this does.

In this one the text likens what I’m learning to Array.prototype.slice(), but I don’t know what that is.

I wouldn’t worry about apply(). The whole point is that you don’t want to use it because it’s more verbose. But, the explanation is basically what you see there in the example. To call max on an array, you have to use apply().

For the second, I’m sort of surprised slice() hasn’t been mentioned before this. It’s not needed knowledege to replicate the requested behaviour, but if you like, you can file a bug report:

Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.