Too Much Technologies Demotivation

Hi to all 'm 40 developer,

And i do this work since 10 years, but i have a very weak point that always block me from being more productive and efficient.

I started as an Asp Net developer and i continue with the Net framework stack doing small and obsolete projects, small updates or creating new functionalities but without touching the core of the applications.

I have a good knowledge of Asp Net, some MVC and Web API knowledge and a Software Engineer bachelor, and i’m start learning Javascript and Node js using Freecodecamp and other resources (Pluralsight and Udemy mostly) and i really liked both javascript than c#.

Problem is that i can’t push myself seeing the amount of technologies that i have to learn to create something, and i cant finish or realize something from the thing i learned. I would really like to show something but i can’t see how, and i can only think to the time i have to spent to learn all of them.

I think the world of freelancing is fascinating, but i’m very confused on my future steps to achieve this.

Even the FreecodeCamp path i have started is something i have paused since months, and it seems that i have some blurry ideas (a lot of ideas indeed) that i can translate into developing, but i cant join them together in something visibile and standalone running because i can’t focus myself.

Now i am on a choice, should i continue to work on Asp Net MVC ?
Or continue the Javascript Path ? the amount of technologies is overwhelming, and i feel like i’m running from one point to another without arriving at any destination.

Thanks for any type of advice you can give to me, i’ll appreciate very much, i think this community is a great treasure.

Nik

Model view controller is a model for how to develop clean code, it’s something you can apply in JavaScript too

In fact many frameworks encourage a similar pattern in some regards

You have a good grasp of the fundamentals of programming and problem solving if you’ve been in the biz that long most likely, so a cursory look at each of the big current trends is probably enough

At least looking at the main concepts behind the big frameworks, such as the components model of react, ought to be enough to get going.

After all, you’re not expected to know everything before working with it, this is a career where one is expected to continually learn while on the job and solving problems

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question though

Yes, it can be overwhelming to eat an elephant in one bite. The trick is cut it into little pieces.

Now i am on a choice, should i continue to work on Asp Net MVC ?
Or continue the Javascript Path ?

Why are you thinking either/or? It’s not either/or, you can have both.

What you know right now is still valuable. I’m on .NET stack, SQL, C-sharp. and sometimes for front-end, I use Angular or VueJS.

I’d suggest start with a front end framework (Angular, React, VueJS), you get to practice JS and at the same time incorporate something new to your projects, that is visible from the end users point of view.

but i cant join them together in something visibile and standalone running because i can’t focus myself.

I think your panic and worry is overwhelming you.

I’d suggest start a pet/personal project, that way there’s no stress to deliver by a certain deadline.

Use this personal project/website to incorporate new things you know.

If you haven’t created a big site from scratch/ground-zero, everything can be overwhelming. You just need to divide the work into smaller and smaller tasks/sub-projects and attack each one, one-by-one. That way, you don’t get overwhelmed doing frontend, backend, database, etc.

Want to learn something new, using your existing C# skills and translating it to the front end browser (running on WebAssembly)? Check out Blazor. This was experimental, but definitely going to be officially supported on .NET Core 3.0

https://blazor.net/