Tribute page when using notepad/codepen

So when I’m trying to build a page on code pen I can’t see the page I am building. I would normally use a notepad when learning and refresh in my browser, would this work if i copied the link? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Am I using it wrong? I’ve never used codepen so a lesson in this before would of helped.

It’s not a silly question.

…would this work if i copied the link?

By “this” I assume that you mean this development process and by “work” I assume that you mean to meet FCC’s requirements?

Sure. You can develop on your own machine for these challenges. In some ways that is a more “realistic” approach, but it comes with some challenges. For one, you’re supposed to provide a link to a working version of the app. How are you going to do that if you are building locally? One way would be to use github pages or something like that to host your app, perhaps with a separate folder for each app. Another option would be to just copy the code into a pen.

You also might consider a better code editor than notepad. Even notepad++ is an improvement, but things like VS Code and Atom are free and amazing.

1 Like

Thank You for your reply,

When providing the link I thought how would they connect it to my computer so atleast I was kind of on the right lines. I just want to be able to view as I build. I will take a look at the other editors to see how I find them.

When providing the link I thought how would they connect it to my computer so atleast I was kind of on the right lines.

The problem is that locally that is just a url for finding things on your computer. For finding things on the internet, you would need to set up a server.

I just want to be able to view as I build.

Maybe I am not understanding. Are you unable to see as you build? Is doing this locally, the simplest way would be to build the files in the editor and and point a browser and refresh the browser with each change. A more sophisticated way might set up webpack or something to serve those files, but that is probably beyond what you need. Another option would be to use a more sophisticated editor and get some kind of preview extension - I haven’t used one but I’m sure they exist.

1 Like

I mean codepen did not display my code when I was saving or testing. I’m gonna watch a tutorial on how to use it and when is does display turn it into a link. Notepad let’s me see exactly as you say but then it won’t work on the link part.

do you mean that the codepen preview doesn’t update? it works as usual on my side

1 Like

I think I just need to learn how it works. A tutorial before hand would of helped and more detailed info on why I am using it.

the codepen make so that you don’t have to worry abotu the setup and you can just type the html in the HTML box and the CSS in the CSS box and what you wrute updates in real time the preview. It helps to start so you do not have to worry abotu toomuch stuff together

1 Like

I just noticed the html, css and js headers and slowly I realised. Thank you that makes so much sense now :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.