Trouble with JavaScript books

I have read the six books in the “You Don’t Know JavaScript” series and I’m in chapter 11 of “Eloquent JavaScript: Third Edition” and I’m troubled by the fact that I don’t understand a LOOOOT, I understand the theory, what they try to explain, but I can’t seem to make sense of the code example in those books.

Except for the first 7 chapters of Eloquent JavaScript and the last three books in the YDKJS series, aside from those exceptions, it has been difficult for me to make sense of the code written in those books.

Is there anything wrong with my approach, are there any other books or JS courses I can take to deepen my knowledge?

Reading is never enough, you should also learn by doing — coding.

Learn by doing > reading any amount of books.

Books help you expand your knowledge of “what is out there”, but to get your brain to transform that knowledge into “This is what I need todo to solve this problem” you need to use it.

Code and theory should go hand in hand. Code implements the theory, and the theory comes from the problem. If you only learn the theory, you wont know how to code it. If you only know how to code, but you don’t know theory, you could over-complicate things and take completely wrong approaches to simple problems.

If you take the code you don’t understand and play around with it live, with your own inputs and situations you will get a better grasp of things. It always helps to get hands on experience, rather than sitting and thinking about this, because lets be serious, there’s to much to think about already haha.

I would definately not recommend starting with the YDKJS series if you are just learning. That would be like going to your first piano lesson and being asked to play Chopin.

Just code. If you get confused by something, ask. I guarantee you aren’t the only one. The others are just too chicken to ask.

1 Like

I can only agree what what has been said already. Start doing. Just think of it as follow:
you won’t learn to, say, ski from a book. A book can give you useful background information (what length to chose, etc.). But you won’t be able to ski, despite all that knowledge.