Typing skills in programming

In order to be a good and efficient programmer, can I assume that it is necessary to become good at typing? My current speed may be about 30wpm.

I don’t think you need to worry that much about your typing speed.
Working as a professional programming is more about problem solving and researching documentation than typing quickly.

I would focus more on developing strong problem solving skills and a healthy foundation in programming.
Over time, your typing speed might increase a little bit but it is not something to be concerned about.

1 Like

No.

1 Like

You don’t need to speed type to be a good coder. Does it help? I’m sure it does but it’s absolutely not a requirement!

1 Like

I think there is some benefit to working on your typing skills. Don’t shoot for speed but for accuracy, especially being able to type accurately without looking at your hands. Once you get good at that, with decent technique, the speed will come naturally.

But of course, you can’t type faster than you think. Really, the main time when fast typing comes in handy is when I’m typing up text things, like documentation and emails and PRs, etc. But when I used to work in person, when we’d pair up, a lot of times I would be the typer just because I could type faster.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, but if you wanted to get a typing program and spend 5 minutes a day on it, you’ll gradually see the benefits. At least, it did for me. Again, accuracy, correct fingers, and not looking at your hands is what’s important. That and relaxation and good ergonomics.

1 Like

Thank you. That is what I have been doing. I understand that it isn’t worth it now, but I still practice for five minutes a day.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.