Unable to pass one of challenges in the "Build a Periodic Table Database" challenge

Tell us what’s happening:

I’m unable to complete the " If you run ./element.sh , it should output Please provide an element as an argument and finish running." user story. I’ve tried making it print the string " Please provide an element as an argument" and then ending. Taking input after that prompt and passing it into a function that returns an element from the database also fails the test.

element.sh

#!/bin/bash

PSQL="psql -X --username=freecodecamp --dbname=periodic_table --tuples-only -c"

# This function identifies if input is atomic number, symbol or name
PARSE_INPUT() {
  if [[ $1 =~ ^[0-9]{1,2}$ ]]
  then
    # Look-up element by atomic number
    echo $($PSQL "SELECT atomic_number, name, symbol, type, atomic_mass, melting_point_celsius, boiling_point_celsius FROM elements INNER JOIN properties USING(atomic_number) INNER JOIN types USING(type_id) WHERE atomic_number = $1 ") | while read Q_ATOMIC_NUM BAR Q_NAME BAR Q_SYMBOL BAR Q_TYPE BAR Q_MASS BAR Q_MELT_C BAR Q_BOIL_C
    do
      if ! [[ -z $Q_NAME ]]
      then
        echo "The element with atomic number $Q_ATOMIC_NUM is $Q_NAME ($Q_SYMBOL). It's a $Q_TYPE, with a mass of $Q_MASS amu. $Q_NAME has a melting point of $Q_MELT_C celsius and a boiling point of $Q_BOIL_C celsius."
      else
        echo "I could not find that element in the database."
      fi
    done

else
    # Determines if argument is symbol or name 
    if [[ ${#1} -le 2 ]]
    then
      # Look-up by symbol
      echo $($PSQL "SELECT atomic_number, name, symbol, type, atomic_mass, melting_point_celsius, boiling_point_celsius FROM elements INNER JOIN properties USING(atomic_number) INNER JOIN types USING(type_id) WHERE symbol = '$1' ") | while read Q_ATOMIC_NUM BAR Q_NAME BAR Q_SYMBOL BAR Q_TYPE BAR Q_MASS BAR Q_MELT_C BAR Q_BOIL_C
    do
      if ! [[ -z $Q_NAME ]]
      then
        echo "The element with atomic number $Q_ATOMIC_NUM is $Q_NAME ($Q_SYMBOL). It's a $Q_TYPE, with a mass of $Q_MASS amu. $Q_NAME has a melting point of $Q_MELT_C celsius and a boiling point of $Q_BOIL_C celsius."
      else
      fi
    done

else
      # Look-up by name
      echo $($PSQL "SELECT atomic_number, name, symbol, type, atomic_mass, melting_point_celsius, boiling_point_celsius FROM elements INNER JOIN properties USING(atomic_number) INNER JOIN types USING(type_id) WHERE name = '$1'") | while read Q_ATOMIC_NUM BAR Q_NAME BAR Q_SYMBOL BAR Q_TYPE BAR Q_MASS BAR Q_MELT_C BAR Q_BOIL_C
    do
      if ! [[ -z $Q_NAME ]]
      then
      else
      fi
    done
    fi
  fi
}

# needs to accept atomic number, symbol or name?
# can't get this test to pass
if [[ -z $1 ]]
then
# does this need to be any element, symbol or number or only element's name?
  echo "Please provide an element as an argument"
  # read INPUT_ELEMENT
  # PARSE_INPUT $INPUT_ELEMENT

else
  echo "$($echo PARSE_INPUT $1)"
fi

Browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/102.0.5005.63 Safari/537.36 Edg/102.0.1245.39

Challenge: Build a Periodic Table Database

Link to the challenge:

Adding a full stop at the end of the sentence worked for me.

1 Like

I was getting an error running your code:

ERROR: column reference “type” is ambiguous

Deleted the last ‘‘INNER JOIN types USING(type_id)’’ from all queries and it works ok. It seems the last INNER JOIN is not necessary because all the data needed is already in INNER JOIN of elements and properties.

Edit : that was before ‘‘Your properties table should not have a type column’’ step … After deleting the type column in properties, the code has to be as
dylan.london94 wrote.