Understanding current web tech Terms and library

I have been learning HTML and CSS, also completed some of the responsive projects. Now I was answering a question on the forum, I got my own.
I understand the planning, designing and coding part.
But what are the best practice for website creation? I mean there are CMS like WordPress. web server, client side, the different library where bootstrap easy to get head around of front-end library. Than there react, Node, and AWS thing. Also, what does scaling mean?
These are a lot of question but would appreciate if someone willing to give me a long lecture on these.
To summarise I want to know, what technology do what when I should use what and how to use.

No lecture will explain everything, even if there was a theory with the name of the theory of everything in the tech world, it will never explain or clarify all the things contained therein.

The best way to look at it is through the biggest lines drawn in {web development} in which exists three types of developers when combined with the two levels of development skills (Front-end, Back-End):

There are

1. Front-end developers: Those that focus on the visible side of websites: they usually use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as some other libraries to help them increase productivity (There are uncountable numbers of them).

2. Back-end developers: Those that focus on the server-side of the development. They use programming languages to handle requests received by browsers, manage databases and finally manage the interaction going between them. PHP is one of them, it’s a popular language and it’s usually used with SQL, a popular language too used to interact with the database. Some people also like to use JS for the backend too, thanks to node.js. These are not the only languages available, there are many. And, in the backend, just like the front-end, you’ll also find hundreds of libraries…

3. Full stack developers: They master, fulfill both front-end and back-end requirements and tools…etc.

Good luck & Happy Coding.

1 Like

Scaling is a thing that you probably don’t need to think about until you’re making enough money to comfortably pay someone else lots of money to think about it. What happens to an application’s performance if it has ten million users rather than 1? What happens to a web server if it gets 100,000 hits per second rather than 1? What happens when a database needs to store and access terabytes of data rather than a few kilobytes? How do you go from one to the other, that’s scaling

1 Like

Thanks for explaining all this , now if possible can u guide me through. what to learn first ( I mean by best way possible to learn ). I am not complete bingerner I have good idea of C++ and already complete responsive HTML and CSS . BUT before i move furthur I want to take small steps, ( as I think learning bootstrap should me my next step after HTML and CSS than learn javascript or jquery and than next ) will be thankful for guidance.

I don’t think you’ll find better than FreeCodeCamp’s Curriculum to develop your skills in both front-end and back-end.

And BTW, if you have noticed, libraries have been displaced and are far from the first lessons. I don’t know if that is planned, but I think that it is important to master the language before using any library: It’s much better to master JS before using JQuery or any other library… the same thing goes for HTML & CSS.

I highly suggest following FreeCodeCamp’s new curriculum and that especially if you like JS like me and many others… by following the curriculum, you will also use it in the backend.

On the other hand, it’s important to know that PHP is a big market, you can make a lot of money off it if you follow that path, especially if you combine your acquired skills with WP development: you’ll have many choices:

1. Making apps and selling them.
  2. Fixing themes and plugins.
  3. Developing themes and plugins.
  4. Working for companies which need their websites developed, updated, maintained…etc.
    … and many more.

In my humble opinion, the most important thing, after all, is to stick to one language and then try your best to master it and it will be easy to switch easily to another if you want to.

I wanted to address is But what are the best practice for website creation?

It really depends on scope. The best way and best technology depends on what you need and what you have available.

If you already have learned HTML and CSS
Your next step should be to learn Bootstrap along with JavaScript
I am assuming that since you know C++(OOP) it won’t take much time to learn JavaScript
So you can easily refer to jquery later
Because Bootstrap also handles much of the scripting part

Doing the above-listed things will bring an end to your Front-end Development(learning process)

Now Talking about Back-end Development

You don’t need to learn PHP or node.js or react

I would personally prefer the Python programming language
And the majority of the people prefer python according to Upwork(one of the best freelancing platform)

Because if you know Python you can do everything with Django (python framework)
And also learn SQLite(for the database)
SQLite is easy to learn since you know C++ because SQLite is written entirely in C

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER TO WHY EVERYONE SHOULD PREFER TO LEARN PYTHON

Even I learned PHP before python
and I have used PHP in many of my projects
Even today sometimes I prefer PHP for simple websites
but for complex projects, I always prefer python because of its reliability, clean code and python is extremely powerful(because it is far more efficient then JS and PHP)

Facebook uses PHP (because at that time Mark thought of PHP as an appropriate tool for his project)

And In 2018 if we compare we can say that the majority of tech giants are switching to python

//--------------------------------Majority of tech giants use PYTHON see the list below of some of the tech giants that use PYTHON as their PRIMARY language

Instagram(Now Mark and his team are switching over to python gradually)
Google
Youtube
Dropbox
Quora
Mozilla Firefox
Spotify
Reddit
Yahoo maps
Hipmunk
Pinterest
NASA
and the list goes on and on
Still, PHP is used for simple projects but PHP cannot handle complex projects efficiently
But the majority are considering python for complex projects

**** You can refer to these sites to crosscheck for yourself ****

https://www.quickstart.com/blog/post/10-famous-websites-built-with-python/

https://www.probytes.net/blog/websites-using-python/

Mozilla Firefox Browser was initially made using PHP but later they switched to python completely

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another benefit of learning Python is that Python is the easiest programming language to learn
You can refer to these sites to crosscheck for yourself

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 2018 you can even compare Python with PHP salary wise

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 2018 Everywhere ONE thing is COMMON -> Python
Python is used in
Data Science(All deep learning libraries are available in python)
Web Development(Django framework)
Mobile App development(Kivy Framework)
GUIs(pyqt)
Software Development(SCons)
Business Applications(Odoo)

//---- check out this link for applications of python

Python is an easy language and it’s powerful when used for data science, but are you sure that it is better than JS and PHP for the backend and in web development? knowing the fact that:

1. Millions of websites today are hosted with WordPress which is based on PHP and the number is growing and almost all shared hosting support PHP and MySQL.

2. JS node is new, but because people have to learn JavaScript for front-end, they also prefer to continue using the same language for the back-end which gives it a big advantage and make it grow fast.

Python for web development is possible, but I personally don’t think it’s better than JS and PHP for those reasons. this is my opinion.

And now that you updated your post and added new information, I’d like to thank you for that, but please be careful: Python for web design/development isn’t the same as python as a general language. For web design, it couldn’t be better than PHP for freelancing, at least now at this moment for the two reasons that I previously talked about: WordPress Development & Support (in shared hostings). If you look for a real graph (a scientific graph — which is impossible to get) that compares python with other languages for web design/development only, it would be different.

Why is PHP so Good for Freelancers?

1 Like