Unsuccessful in getting a job

It looks great, but I think you should move all your work experience to the front page. People want to know more about what you bring to your job if you start working there. They can find out the more personal stuff once you’ve been hired and are there for a while.

Also, if you’re going to put ratings on there, you should provide some idea of the program or site to get those ratings.

But in the US I don’t know that that would be something seen on a resume. There have been resumes that were not the norm that got more eyeballs, but you don’t want to get eyeballs for the wrong reasons.

1 Like

I’ve also been actively looking for a developer job for the past couple months and have gone through several resume revisions. What has really helped me is moving experience to the top, tech skills in the middle, and push education to the bottom. Doing this has been incredibly helpful. As recent grads, we’re taught to overvalue our education by counselors to justify the expense, but companies care much more about what you’ve done than where or why you did it.

Thanks you for the review, That’s what I call a constructive review. I will think of removing the ratings on my skills as and many others suggested but I don’t agree with the first page part as the first page is just an introduction to me and it can easily be skipped if some one likes. Just like on a portfolio the about pages always seems to be on the top.

Honestly, you have to much content word-wise. You should take out all of you literal URL link. You can make a link with any word and also direct it to link to a web page.

For example, in Word, highlight the word “Portfolio”, and then hit Control + K. that will open a window where you will be allowed to paste or type in a URL. Then you don’t waste white space with a full URL.

Your resume is good, but you need to trim it down so that the amount of whitespace is balanced against the text.

Here are a couple of links to help you (I will be using the method that I stated earlier).

Best resume templates to land your dream job in 2017

The best resume template based on my 15 years’ experience sharing resume advice

12 Skills Your Resume Should Already Have

You in 6 seconds: how to write a résumé that employers will actually read

Resume samples from real professionals

This Is What A GOOD Resume Should Look Like

Here is an example of one that is a webpage.

Absolutely stay away from any images or graphics UNLESS you are going for a design job.

Hope this helps!

Last summer my nephew went to a minecraft convention in Los Angeles and attended a seminar where the presenter was doing some live coding. There was a bug in the presenters code and something was not working right in front of the hundreds of people in the room. He was the only person who was able to offer the presenter a solution… After the presentation a Microsoft recruiter spoke with him and offered him an internship. No resume required! He was eleven years old; he will have to wait a year or two.

With that experience in mind I would recommend getting out into the community where you can code with people face to face. Attend several hackathons, where you can present and practice what you know with customers and team members that have real use cases and an insane deadline.

Next take a look at the Ask the Headhunter video to understand better the role of the resume and the hiring process.

1 Like

Okay not sure anyone has posted this, sorry if i didn’t check, but whatever. I’ve yet to actually go through and create my own, because i have impostor syndrome to a degree, so belief is lacking, and just plain procrastinating.

@nawazishali, I recommend you start your own separate thread for your portfolio/resume review. It’s very confusing to have both yours and @keerthiputhanaveedu’s work being critiqued on the same thread. And as she was the originator of this thread it would make sense for you to start a new one.

2 Likes

An 11-year-old fixer. That is awesome! He could be like those kids you see on tv who started their own business before they hit their teens.

Your website portfolio is very crucial and your projects that is where they will be focusing on. You can improve your site in many ways for example on your contact section you can add a contact form where messages will go directly to your attached email as an addition.

I can’t chime in with what to write. But visually it’s very boring and uncomfortable to look at. I always try and make my CV stand out from others, make it easy to read and only putting down my relevant education and employment on the first page. I know most people say to keep your CV to one page, but I always put my entire employment history and education on a second page, so it’s there if they want to see it, but what’s relevant to that position is on the first page and thats usually enough for the employer.
Your portfolio is great, needs a bit of tweaking where your project previews are, but overall it’s really nice! Create your CV to match your portfolio, I tend to keep my portfolio, CV and cover letter the same colours!
Have fun with it and own it!
Google docs has some pretty decent CV layouts you can play around with, like the one bellow!

( where I live it’s pretty normal to put a picture of yourself on your CV, but you can skip that if it’s not the norm for where you live or the positions you’re applying for)