Use of libraries in Portfolio

I have been seeing some cool stuff with animation libraries/tools like webflow and was wondering if their use would be looked down upon in a personal portfolio. For example if you go to awards you will see some seriously amazing stuff, but it looks way too good for just one person to have built it in vanilla JS. Thoughts?

I mean libraries, of course, there’s no issue there.

Webflow though, that’s not a library and using it defeats the point of doing the course – the projects are to exercise and demonstrate knowledge of what you’ve learned.

Sure, and I wasn’t very clear. I was not asking in reference to completing the projects here using webflow. I was asking more what place, if any, libraries and webflow have in a portfolio.

If you’re asking if you can use libraries in a portfolio yes. No one expects you to write everything from scratch, and levering libraries/frameworks can be a big help to the point if your writing everything from scratch you might actually be less helpful that knowing popular frameworks and libraries.

If you’re asking if you should show which libraries you use, yes and no. Some of the major frameworks are worth pointing out on your portfolio, such as React, Vue, or Angular. Smaller libraries on the other hand don’t matter as much, unless they are key to how a given project works, such as d3.js for a visualization project. Where-as knowing how to use parts of lodash might not be worth mentioning, as its just a utility library that provides utility functions.

Showing off if you know webflow might be helpful in a resume for a job asking for those skills. I’m not sure how/if you’d show them off on webflow. you could show off webflow projects in a separate area so its clear that you can use webflow to build websites for clients. However this can have a negative effect on your portfolio if you’re not careful.

If your “coded” projects look worse, and don’t do as much as your webflow projects (as webflow is easier to specific types of sites) then your “coded” projects will look worse. If your looking for a web-dev job where you build sites/web-apps, then having webflow projects making up a majority of your protfolio or they look better than your web-dev stuff will make it seem like you aren’t fully committed, or a better “webflow” developer than a web-dev.

On the reverse side, if you’re looking for a job where you could use webflow, or build things from scratch, then this approach might work well. It all depends on the type of job you’re applying for, so just keep it in mind.

Good luck, keep learning, keep building :+1:

Re libraries, if you mean using libraries, noone will care very much. You use what you need to build something, IRL libraries are used for everything.

Re Webflow, that’s assuming you’re trying to demonstrate design skills, which are not the same thing as trying to demonstrate skills as a developer; it’s a different job sector. Same thing applies though – noone really cares very much what you use. If you are using a WYSIWYG tool that handles the code side of a site/app of something you’re using as a demo of design skills, then the design skills are what’s important, that fact a no-code tool was used isn’t very interesting.

Note Webflow isn’t going to be important w/r/t getting a programming job – people who hire programmers are hiring them to program, Webflow isn’t really a programming tool per se