Web Design is the worst! Misery loves company

Web Design is the worst! Misery loves company
0.0 0

I think I will have a pity party. Anyone want to join me?

I began freeCodeCamp for several reasons:

1. Personal fulfillment. (I have always wanted to learn a programming language really well.)
  2. Moodle contribution. (I run a Moodle server for my students and I want to be able to customize it and write plug-ins.
  3. To learn some gui techniques because I have been doing c-scripting for years, but everything runs from the command line and it isn’t very useful for non-science people. I want to write user-friendly code, and today’s gui is the web.

But web development requires so many languages and frameworks! I honestly thought it would be easier than something like straight Python, but it is worse! I even made a small UNITY project a few years ago, and this is harder than that. I am working on the weather app, and I feel like I am drowning. My variables fall out of scope when they shouldn’t and I have no idea why. This is so messed up. I have a new respect for you guys who have done this.

OK, to the point. I am not giving up, and you shouldn’t either. We are all in the same boat. We all have the same learning curve to overcome. As Walt Disney said, “Keep moving forward.”

I genuinely don’t think a having a Ph.D. in chemistry makes a difference. I think all comes down to being able to think and reason logically, read instructions well, and be meticulous—and you can find people like that in any discipline, with any level of formal education.

I sincerely don’t mean to, in any way, discredit your achievements. I wanted to comment because I think it’s potentially sending the wrong message—particularly to beginners who haven’t had the opportunity, or aptitude, to study mathematics and science beyond what is required in their countries.

I think I was sending the wrong message. I edited the post.

Lol. I think the opposite.
Web design is okay. But writing content for it is even worst. It is like a career in sales, except you do it in written words. You have massage your words and forge it in certain ways. That I cannot do lol

The design aspect takes a while to get used to. There is a lot of libraries, more than you can handle. What’s worst is the industry praises the libraries so highly that it is mandatory to know.

What I am curious about is, since companies uses libraries so much. Do their developers know how to write vanilla css and js

I actually started in Web Design back in 2011. I went to school and earned a Web Programming degree, but lacked the ability to “make it pretty” so I decided to go back to school and earned a degree in Graphic Design, which is mostly art, and it totally fried my brain (yes, to me, that was much more difficult). So after not being able to get jobs in either fields, I started teaching last year. Since I teach programming, I decided to try to master many coding languages.

So, I started Free Code Camp three days ago, and I’ve learned so much! I mean, I’m pretty solid in HTML, CSS and JS, but I learned a lot about how to find answers when you get stuck. The truth is, coding is all about coding. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. You will get to a point where you can look at a mockup and see the code that will create it. Sometimes that drives me crazy though. Sort of like when you learn now special effects happen in movies, so you get stuck on the details and lose the storyline.

Not giving up is good. I gave up, for three years. I don’t regret getting the degree in Graphic Design, but if I had to do it over again, I would have learned more coding languages. Because coding ignites me!

I so appreciate your Walt Disney quote. Have you seen the film about his life? It’s what inspired me to return to programming.

Terri, Thanks for sharing. I haven’t seen the film, but I should watch that. I think FCC reinforces the skills that should be reinforced in college, but usually aren’t. Good luck on your journey.

A lack of interest in any particular subject will make that subject seem difficult.

Don’t discourage yourself, take examples from other web development companies, take a look at their projects and so on. Everything important is harder at the beginning

This is a really good point I’ve been working on a few projects at work lately where I had to come up with a grid system without the use of bootstrap. At the time I didn’t know how to create a vanilla css grid system but it turns out it’s ridiculously easy. But I would say jQuery makes everyone’s life a lot easier for cross browser support.

I think your observation “today’s gui is the web” is insightful

If you are feeling hopeless, then you are normal.

Joking aside, I think like most people, I have also got to a point where I felt defeated. Destroyed, even. To the point where I quit and had to restart from scratch. However, on a course that I have been using alongside books and FCC, the instructor said something that stuck with me. It went something like:

"Most courses guide you and you expect to be able to do a new project easily from scratch. You can’t. It takes time and even when you are experienced you will still need help. Why do you think stack overflow is so popular."

Bottomline, keep going. Worst result is that you will keep your brain working hard (thus improving). The best? You will master the skill and enhance the experience for your students.