What has made you a better programmer?

I’ve been coding for 3 years and was never very good at it. Around November 2018 I found out about Twice, and ever since my programming skills have grown exponentially. It isn’t just me, others have reportedly felt the twice effect too

https://codeforces.com/blog/entry/62775

So what made you a better programmer? Twice worked for me :smiley:

I used to play a lot on different “coding challenges” platforms. This really boosted my skills!
I even do it today and write about it, this is how much I love. :smile:

1 Like

If you like coding challenges, you should start competitive programming. You might like it

1 Like

Hmm… sounds like a good idea, but I’m not sure if I am “that” good! :laughing:

mdn
spending time on fundamentals
more time understanding and less time coding
actually coding
tech talk videos on youtube everyday
10mins videos about something specific eg how does a promise work
building a mostly finished product/project
reading docs slower and more thoroughly
test driven development
being friends with better programmers
attempting to answer questions on forums

1 Like

you don’t need to be good to start.

I was pretty bad when I first started. Then I found out about twice and became good :smiley:

1 Like

@Y4T9Code , just so it is clear, are you saying that it was listening to twice, the kpop band, that
‘exponentially grew’ your programming skills ?

That is what your link seems to suggest and it would be helpful to make it clear to your readers, as your posting implies that twice is some type of resource that is directly related to programming.

1 Like

just so it is clear, are you saying that it was listening to twice, the kpop band, that
‘exponentially grew’ your programming skills ?

Yes <3

That is what your link seems to suggest and it would be helpful to make it clear to your readers, as your posting implies that twice is some type of resource that is directly related to programming.

It sort of is? Listening to their music made me, and many other users better programmers. See the link I posted? Or try listening to at least a couple of hours of twice a day and see for yourself?

Testing in general, especially using TDD.

Teaching, mentoring, and whatever we call what I do here.

And working on large projects with other people.

2 Likes

but do you listen to Twice?

I don’t think I ever have, no.

I feel you, as a Korean I can definitely relate :clap: . I usually listen to their songs during workouts though.

But in all honesty, I am a better programmer when I get off of tutorials and start buildings projects. Few tutorials to get you up and going is fine, but relying on them too much as your source of learning won’t be big of help.

You should :o

They’ll make you a better programmer

I mostly listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks while I work. I’m not a big kpop fan.

I usually listen to their songs during workouts though

You should listen to them while programming though. Also adding a few lines of code, appreciating twice to your template won’t hurt :wink:

I literally have:

Tzuyu <3

in my template lol

I didn’t like kpop before November 2018. But after listening to twice, my life changed. You should give it a try whenever you’re free.

For me, a great programmer is a mixture of multiple things.

For me programming is something to close your eyes and get a pictorial representation of your components and make a flow out of it to implement your logic. Just open your eyes and implement the flow :slight_smile:

What’s Twice? I have never heard of that and can’t find a site.