What language and frameworks to choose?

Hello everyone

So recently I graduated from University as a Software Engineer in Sweden. I’ve been taking some time off to recover during the summer and to think through what to do next.

What I’ve come to realize during my education is that I am not a hardcore careerist. I prefer to work the standard 9-5 and then call it a day and go home, preferably no overtime (unless it’s really needed), but not as standard. I value my spare time and time to recover.

I understand many of you live in the U.S. and other countries where it’s very easy to fire someone. I live in Sweden. We earn a lot less compared to you but we also have great job security. After the initial trial period at work when you get a permanent spot, you cannot get fired unless you constantly underperform, come in too late or in other ways break the company rules. In general I think we also have a lower workload. Oftentimes when I watch videos on Youtube about coding, it is a guy from the U.S. making the video saying how hard programmers have to work, and the guy assumes that it is the same all across the world or that all his viewers are also from the U.S. In Sweden it is more relaxed, and our education at University is also free.

I also did not like the hectic periods at University where we had to learn new code languages and frameworks under extreme time pressure. I love coding but I prefer to be an expert within a field of coding and get really good at it. At the moment I am thinking about making websites (I enjoyed JSF/JSP with Hibernate and SQL-databases) or Android apps. Working for a company that makes Android apps to me sounds like it’s the same process over and over. Some company buys an app from my company. We start making the app, always laying almost the same foundation with google/facebook logins, a database, some front-end activities etc. Then after that it’s gonna vary a bit depending on what kind of app it is. But I want to do have those kind of tasks at work that are repetitive and very similar where over time I become an expert, and then maybe become an intermediary boss, instead of working at a company that has a totally different project every other month and you need to research a lot of new information and solve many difficult new problems that you have never seen before. The latter probably appeals to many people and they live for their career and to develop within it, but like I said I am more of the expert type who wants to be good at one specific thing.

That brings me to my next concern about this. Some languages and frameworks are going to be irrelevant soon. An example from what I’ve heard is that within Android programming is Java which will be replaced by Cotlin.

For me this is important. I know many languages after having graduated, in my spare time after I’ve done my daily job searching I want to find a language in which I will specialize, but I have to choose the right one and within the right field. So I want to enjoy working within that field and know that the language/techniques will be around for some time. Which languages/frameworks do you think will last the longest and within which fields of programming would you say that these languages/frameworks could be combined with my preference of doing repetitive things such as websites/apps? (Could be anything, those are just two examples). Also if anyone here works as an app developer or with creating websites, are you satisfied with your daily work, what do you enjoy the most and the least? What does a normal day look like and in what country do you live? (relevant due to the work situation)

1 Like

Don’t believe all the hype. The coding world, for the past 50 years has had a nonstop drone of “x is going to replace y”. It turns out that: 1) People are really bad at guessing these things. 2) When it does happen it’s usually a lot slower than people think it will be. 3) Even on the rare occasion when it does happen, there are often a lot of legacy projects that still need coders.

Will Kotlin take over Java/Android? Maybe. But I also think that if you know Java, Kotlin gets easier to learn.

Picking the next big thing in tech is like picking stocks - sure, there is some thought that goes into it, but there is also a lot of guess work and a lot of people who have misplaced confidence in their assumptions.

Generally, if a computer language/library/framework right now, then it will probably be strong for a while, and there will probably be jobs for the rest of our lifetimes, imho.

If you like web dev, FCC teaches the MERN stack. It’s a solid stack? Is it the best? I don’t know, that depends on your criteria. WIll it last forever? Almost certainly not. Will it be going strong for at least another decade or two? Almost certainly.

Just pick something solid. If the market evolves, so will you. Once you learn a few languages/frameworks, learning the next one is much easier.

Don’t worry about finding the “perfect” tech. Find a good one with a bright present and learn it well. You can adapt as you need to.

1 Like

Thanks for your perspective on picking the right languages and frameworks and how things will evolve. You’re most certainly right that people usually talk more than they know about tech being irrelevant soon. In terms of deciding what to go for I will have a look at job ads here in Stockholm and see what language/frameworks are the most asked for. But I wont pick what to become an expert in from that criteria, will also weigh in my passion for Android apps and see how many jobs there are for that.

That is always a good strategy. Of course, there is also the greater EU if you are willing to move.

But I wont pick what to become an expert in from that criteria, will also weigh in my passion for Android apps and see how many jobs there are for that.

Yeah, it’s so hard to get that first job that I wouldn’t worry about picking a specialty. I think it’s better to see where the market takes you. Once you get a few years under your belt, not only will you understand more about the options, but you’ll be more in a position to steer your career.

1 Like

Hi Bradley,
I’m Dan, and I’m a web developer for more than five years. I love my job and my company that offers me great growth opportunities. We develop not only web apps but mostly mobile (iOS and Android). I started my career as a junior developer, and now I have become a senior.
Firstly you should decide whether mobile or web development is more appealing to you. Then you dig into all technologies that are used for that type of development. There are annual top programming languages surveys that will help you find out the most loved and wanted. But I advise you to look through the list of Top programming languages of 2021 based on the niche and its purposes. It will give you a clear understanding of what your first steps are.