What web browser should i use when developing web games

I am developing HTML CSS and JS. And heavily relies on js or the game won’t be fun. The game ONLY runs in a web browser. And is like a web game. What browser should I test it in? If so is there a developers edition of that browser I should get?

All of them :slight_smile: But seriously, I’d say at least the big four: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari. And make sure you test with both desktop and mobile versions.

Of course, this is coming from someone who doesn’t have a mac or iPhone, so I don’t really test with Safari and just assume it will work.

what are the top 2
ones also its mainly a desktop game so ill remove safari

chrome and edge its decided

Safari runs on the desktop.

Since Edge is basically Chrome under the hood I’d go with Chrome and Firefox if you really need to narrow it down this much.

You can use playwright to do cross-browser testing.

Most people find Chrome the easiest to develop in, but you will want to test in as many browsers (and browser versions) as you can - assuming the goal is to maximize users.

If you mostly want to develop something cool and you’re not worried about distributing it, then you can certainly focus on a single browser and notify any potential users that they must be using a specific browser and version.

Ah yes, the good old days.

1 Like

beep-boop-BEEP…nrrrrrrrrr

Any day now…any day.

1 Like

There’s only currently really 3 browsers worth testing against, in order of priority:

1. Chrome
  2. Safari
  3. Firefox (you can use Firefox Developer Edition to develop/test with)

This assumes you don’t care about the mobile experience, and just the desktop experience. Regardless the core browser options for mobile are essentially the same, except Firefox mobile is even more niche.

If you don’t have a Mac, then Safari is off the table, so I’d focus on Chrome and Firefox.

However its worth mentioning that depending on the game and game engine you use, you might only need to use 1 browser and rely on the game-engine to cover up any differences in browsers.

Using playwright will let you test Safari (well Webkit) on both Windows and Linux. It is fairly easy to set up if you follow the link I posted.

1 Like