Some questions about cross-browser testing in FrontEnd

I have completed the Front-End path of FCC, but i’d like to improve my solutions, to make “finally-ready-for-production” versions of completed projects.

Today, i focus on cross-browser compatibility, and so far i found how to make my solutions friendly with IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

But there are few things where i have some doubt:

• Safari browser.
    Do i need to purchase Ipad/Macbook/etc to check and debug my apps for Safari? Or maybe any developer-for-safari-tools (Windows-based or Linux-based) exist?

Also, I have found that Safari and Chrome are both powered with same engine (Webkit) - so if i ensured my app 100% proper working in Chrome - does that automatically mean 100% Safari-compatibility?

• Microsoft Edge
    Is there a need to check my projects in latest version of Edge? I made them work in IE11, which is “older version” of Edge - so if it runs correctly in old version of browser(IE), i can be sure that latest version (Edge) will work correctly too? is it right?

Thanks for any feedback :smiley:

If you’ll be doing this for a client or professionally, I say
"Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups" :slight_smile:

Over the years, the different browsers have gotten better with following html standards.
And what worked for one, generally (maybe 99%) will work with the others just fine.
But it can surprise you once in a while.
A few times, there were some show-stoppers (i.e. user can’t click on a link, or can’t move away from a page) because of some weird browser problem occuring on one specific platform.
Customer discovers problem using X browser on Y OS. Customer notifies client. Client notifies me about problem.
It can be embarrasing sometimes.
Or the problem only happens on X browser on mobile, but same X browser on desktop works fine.
So my advice is to check on as many browsers (and OS, and mobile devices) you have access to.

As starters, you can download Safari for Windows. (Yeah I know, who uses this on Windows)… but there are a few people that do.
Edge. If you have Windows 10, check it there.
All these browsers are FREE so there’s no big excuse not to check on these browsers.

This site may help also determining if you can use an html feature on a specific browser version.

and for mobile devices

Sad but true, i supposed the things are going exactly this way , but there was a littile hope :grin:
That all was i mean, different browsers may have some minor differences in rendering pages, and generally speaking, we try to catch maximum number of them - but there is no multi-purpose dev tool for that…:frowning:

Thanks for answer anyway, i’ll check these sites, but seems it is time to save money for iPad and win10…

Had some experience with Safari for windows, unfortunately i might say the version of browser is very out-of-date, can not take it seriously…

If you’re on a Mac, you can install a Windows 10 Virtual Machine (and other older Windows OS) and be able to check/use Windows based browsers. Might as well install Linux VM and also check on Chrome/others on Linux.

You can also download XCode and install the iOS simulator and be able to run iPod, iPhone, iPads, (any hardware version/size) using the simulator. – of course, it’s still not the same as testing on a real device, but it gets you there pretty good on catching html or JS inconsistencies.

That’s one advantage of working with Macs vs. Windows.

"Customer notifies client. Client notifies me…"
Wow, all these years I’ve been using the terms client and customer interchangeably and you come here and write that sentence and I am blown away at how you used both in one sentence and they clearly define different entities.

@Soupedenuit Yeah, customers/clients are mostly synonymous. But sometimes it can get blurry. It’s all about RELATIONSHIPS between the two of you whether you call them a customer or a client.

I tend to think of it like this:

A customer buys/pays for something… typically, a tangible product. But it could also be a pre-defined service.

A client hires you (or your company) for your service/expertise… typically, a custom solution (or product) specific for their problem/needs.

Personally speaking, I have customers and I also have clients. If someone buys X widget from me, they’ve become my customer. If someone tells me they need A, B, C… and ask me to solve/fulfill their needs, they’ve become my client.

A client is a customer, but a customer may not be a client. :slight_smile: