When you are successful, no one is going to care how long it took to get there. So stop worrying 😀

I was twitter and ran across this post where a guy was talking about how if he could go back in time and teach themselves how to code this is the plan he would use.

He detailed a plan where in 2 1/2 months he would go from complete beginner to employed junior full stack developer.

He then went on to say that this is a 100% possible that he knew three people that did this. As long as you are not lazy and are willing to code around the clock then you should be employable in a few months.

Well, obviously they received a lot of backlash in the comments that this wasn’t realistic. While it was entertaining to watch him argue online with other commenters, it did bring me to this point.

No one cares how long it takes you to get there.

All they are going to see is that you are a success. :grinning:

It doesn’t matter if you get your first job in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc.

When you are successful, no one is going to care. They are just going to look at your success.

When is the last time you walked into a doctor’s office and asked them if they struggled in med school. Or if things got so tough that they weren’t sure they were going to survive residency.

You don’t care about their struggles in becoming a doctor.
All you care about is them helping you so you can feel better. :grinning:

So the same applies to learning how to code.

When you are successful developer, people are not going to care about the following things:

How long it took you to get the javascript certification
How long it took you to finish the front end certification
How long you spent on record collection
How long you spent on the create a form challenge
How long you spent on algorithms
Etc.etc.etc. :grinning:

Stop worrying about it.
You are just driving yourself nuts.
Just keep learning, and building.

Try to think big picture.

And remember that a little bit of adversity makes you way more relatable.
You can then turn around and share your story with someone who is struggling and inspire them to keep going :grinning:

Happy coding!

10 Likes

Can’t agree with this more! Well said :slight_smile:

woooow. wonderful points.

Agreed one hundred percent.

One of my favorite quotes, which you can fill in your own timelines for as appropriate, is that:

People tend to overestimate when they can do in X time, and dramatically underestimate what they can do in Y time.

For this, I’d say that people tend to overestimate what they can do in three months, and dramatically underestimate what they can do in a year.

That said, can you share that three month link lol?

Haha… not looking to start trouble :laughing:

But unfortunately, this is a theme that runs rampant all over the internet.
Youtube is littered with videos just like this guy’s post.

So I prefer to stay clear from that crap and just keep learning :grinning:

2 Likes

I was just looking for the study plan the guys followed he was referencing, I see people talking about the “3 month strategy” but very little in terms of concrete descriptions of what steps were followed, that’s all. Not interested in the drama either, that’s for sure!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this! I was feeling so down earlier, but this helped put a lot into perspective! :grinning:

1 Like

100% time don’t make much difference. It’s not a race, it’s the journey and all the things you learn throughout.

1 Like

Thanks, I really needed to hear that! Sometimes I feel like the clock is ticking and I’m just not making any progress. I just try to keep the end goal in mind and keep moving forward, one step at a time.

1 Like