Which one is better?

Hi everyone…

I’m trying to enter the web dev job market without any experience in real world projects, so my question is which one is better; to become a freelancer or an employee. I know the advantage of freelancing is it will give you the freedom in both time and place, but it has no job security and no healthcare, social insurance…etc. And as you know employees have all the features the freelancers don’t minus freedom.
another question ; I don’t know how to present myself as a developer if I have no real world experience to apply for jobs?

If you read your post in reverse, you answer your own question. Do both! Everytime you get freelance work, it goes on your resume and increases the odds of landing a job.

1 Like

Which one is better is subjective. If you want stability then yea being a normal employee dev is better, you get perks, training, and a stable environment to succeed. If your a freelancer then you are on your own to do everything. Freedom is very much a pro and con as a freelancer, yea you can do what you want, but if you don’t do your job you don’t get paid what so ever. Or if you don’t know what your doing, you have no one to turn too.

I would suggest getting real-world experience on the side of a real stable environment (a real dev job, or some other job). The last thing you want is to be in a tight position where you are desperate as a freelancer, but have almost no time learn anything or gain any valuable experience. These two sorts of things are very counter productive (hard to get jobs if you have low experience, you can’t get experience since your spending all your time trying to get jobs) so only commit if you don’t mind taking the risk.

2 Likes