WHY did you want to learn to code? -- Here is my reason and RANT

Why I started coding?

I seriously started to learn to code less than a year ago, as a part-part time thing as my days are very busy with everything else to do in life…

I started coding as a frustration on dealing with Wordpress. … then what finally made me move was trying to do an animation online, there was no other way to do it than actually learning to code it. … as first stop guess what? ADOBE ANIMATE!!! … Bad choise!!! took me a week to figure out that Adobe had a dead body still in their Adobe Cloud services…

For years I used website builders like from Godaddy, Adobe, or even some Wordpress site builders… so I was thinking that was the “quick way” to do things, and so I was WRONG!!!

After taking my fist Udemy course I quickly discovered Bootstrap, and OMG… like, ANYBODY can code and learn so much beyond Bootstrap, but Bootstrap is worth so much more than any website builder from any place…

Anyway… ya know what else is frustrating? dealing with MongoDB Atlas… they are going to make me learn API’s the same way Wordpress and Adobe made me learn to code…

The coding technology is not perfect… there are some frustration in the way… good old html / css / javascript still awesome… still, maybe I can pick and choose what new technologies are up there to make my life code faster without having to learn anybody coding platform that will remind me of just another webiste builder or Adobe software that doesn’t work that great…

Hey !!
im also new to coding in general and trying to make a career shift (i was a shef).
i looked into wordPress before and honestly it so ugly and annoing to deal with ,like working with apple products ,you can’t work with anything else .
i started with JS and when recently learned jquery man it made everything way more practical ,so i think you should look into it ,im also learning React right now and im liking it so far .
anyway good luck with what you’re doing :v:

1 Like

You can learn react, then jump into nextjs… DO NOT build anything serious in React, why? Because React is just a beautiful worthless tool. Search engines can’t read javascript and can’t read any information from a React website, also, React pages can’t be shared in social media sites like facebook or twitter…

Nextjs is a better, but also not perfect. Nextjs is indeed better for SEO , but you have to keep in mind that Nextjs doesn’t have a DOM and certain things you have to code it a bit different in order to work… right now for example I am dealing trying to get MongoDB in Nextjs, and it isn’t working the typical way… so… extracting data using Nextjs can be tricky…

Also… all the new shinny tools like React, Next will tell you how awesome they are, but they won’t tell you about the “downsize” of using them until you find out the big crap on your own… dealing with MongoDB Atlas hasn’t been an awesome experience either, and that is why I am now looking to create my own API’s so I don’t have to deal with database companies.

1 Like

React is used by Next.js. React by itself focuses almost completely on the UI and nothing more. SEO is not important for a number of use-cases, such as building a web-app that is very dynamic, where the data created doesn’t need to be prioritized in SEO. (For example, Google Drive, or your email inbox)

You usually want to build your own API around your database. You could still use mongodb (mongodb atlas provides a free tier) but have your own code work as your back-end, which then interacts with the database. This is the traditional full stack.

Next.js provides an interesting middle ground between front-end focused apps, and back-end server-side rendered apps. But it does create more complexity that might be required to support such an approach.

This sort of hyperbolic absolutist stuff isn’t really helpful. Frameworks are widely used and have some important uses. Rolling your own APIs can be super flexible but has some serious downsides too.

SEO isn’t important for single page app usecases. React is used primarily for that, not for building websites. It can render output as strings, which makes it relatively easy to build website generators on top of it (like Next, which is a framework built on top of React), but SPAs aren’t the same thing. Like if you make a calculator, you don’t need a search engine to index the results of making calculations, that makes no sense.

Tell me more about APIs… what would be the downsize?.. apparently during coding I find the “downsizes” when I am the middle of doing something and then it comes crashing to my face without expecting it…

If you roll your own API instead of using a widely supported API, you will have more bugs. More users => more testing => fewer bugs

What other complexities are expected from Next.js? I found out that Next doesn’t use a DOM, so the approach on how you are going to code it has to be a bit different, also if you want to modify some CSS… few little things you have to keep in mind, but overall not too bad… the biggest problem I have is communicating between MongoDB and Next (which apparently I cant figure out how to do it), so that got me more interested in learning to build API’s which I think it would be interesting…