Learning to Design

Hey Guys,

So I’ve been learning to code for a month now… and it has been a great experience so far one I wish to continue with.

As well as learning web development, I would also like to learn to design (UX, UI etc) as I think its a really cool skill to have and would supplement my learnings from FCC.

However, I can’t find a suitable platform to learn. I was wondering if someone knew a course similar to FCC but for design?

… if there are any designers reading this do you have any advice on how to become a UX/product designer w/out any formal training or experience?

Here is a link to my dribble account.

2 Likes

Not really sure about interactive like fCC, there is one short course on scrimba on design. Coursera has some courses on UI/UX.

2 Likes

Was hoping for such a thing as well. There are some more recommended resources in this thread: freeCodeCamp equivalent for UI/UX design?

The structure and free format of FCC appear to be quite unique though …

If you are using Adobe XD their daily creative challenges might be helpful. The instructors provide feedback in their Discord channel.

1 Like

Cheers guys!

Will definitely look into that.

I have also discovered this gem - https://hackdesign.org/ there’s a lot of reading but its a start.

3 Likes

Hello @JoshHaokip

I have been learning to code while also learning UX Design as well, so I will tell you a bit of my journey.

On the coding journey, there are many great (and free) resources to learn and also there are great coding communities…you know like freeCodeCamp? :wink:

(What I am about to say is based on my judgement and my personal experience).

When it comes to UX design, there is a contrast to it in some aspect. Doing networking within the UX communities seems to be more challenging. The ranges of UX/UI communities is not as wide as the coding communities, and where there is one, the interaction is not as strong (more quieter) as well. I have found one UX Design forum UX Mastery, which is very similar to the fCC forum. I have opened an account with them, but yet to use it. If you do check it out and join, I hope you will find this helpful.

On the learning side, this is where it gets tricky. Yes, like coding, there are many resources to find, but it is knowing and finding it what you need to learn in UX Design that is the hardest bit. Don’t forget, UX Design is a vast field here (you got research, strategy, interaction design, information architecture and so on) and then you got UI Design as well.

I can’t say for other fields, but I took a short course in UX Research & Strategy via Designlab. It was a big eye-opener and not what I expected. But, it was well worth it because I have learnt so much out of it, plus my mentor was very helpful as he not only gave me brilliant advice, but he also got to show me his work that he does at his workplace. The downside? It’s the price tag, and I will let you see it for yourself. My point is had I not took it, I don’t think I would ever find resources on my own to learn them because I have not heard of them. But, again, that could be me.

I have learned in the UX Design field:

• if you are working for a big company, chances are you might be based mostly in one section of UX (researcher, strategist, prototype team, UI design team etc.).
  • If you are working for a small firm, then it is likely you would be doing most everything.

However, they do say that even if you are based in one section, you would still need to know the basic Levels of the other parts. That is, so you have a better understanding and be able to communicate with the other teams (even UX researcher who doesn’t do design works would still need to know the basic principles of design).

So, I would advise learning all the phases of UX design on the basic level first.

Before taking that course, I was learning the process of UX design through YouTube videos and read articles (I did this with videos and articles by CareerFoundry), look up jargons and terminology and take note. But also, find UX designers via their blogs or YouTube where:

• They explain their journey on becoming a UX designer, and they usually recommend resources such as books.

• They would do videos explaining with examples of what is [e.g. User journey?]. Also check out UX designers’ portfolio, and read their use cases and how they create their work.

Once you have an idea of what area you would like to focus, start digging more resources for that area. So what I would do first if you have by then join UX Mastery, ask there for further resources, and hopefully, you will get your answer from there.

I hope this will give you some ideas and good luck with your UX/UI & coding journey. It won’t be easy, but then never say never. :slightly_smiling_face:

Happy coding & designing!

6 Likes

I’ve always found that design is something people are often left to figure out on their own. And then, once doing it professionally, expected to all of a sudden figure out color theory, UI/UX principles, usability and accessibility standards, etc. A bit of a double standard, really. Especially when you consider how much science actually goes into it.

Hack Design looks really good. I’m a huge proponent of O’Reilly, for both development and design. It’s a paid resource, but one I stand behind the most. Through it you have access to virtually every book published by all of the major publishers in our space. This frequently includes early access to books, even.

4 Likes

check this for best course: https://uxplanet.org/30-best-online-course-websites-to-learn-ui-ux-updated-6b104762731a

1 Like

Hey Madalena,

Sorry about the late reply.

Thanks for the info! I’ve also had a look at some of your posts which have been very resourceful.

Last year I shared here my repo with hundreds of resources to learn UI Design:

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks. This is very helpful.