Alongside FCC what is most important to learn?

Hi guys,

I started FCC a year ago but never finished and now I’m back and surprisingly things make a lot more sense. I got as far as halfway through CSS.

One thing that’s confusing me is reading about resources alongside FCC. I’m unsure what’s ideal at my beginner stage and which would be pointless and possibly counter productive.

So popular words I hear a lot, Javascript, GIT, CS50 course, data Structure, Frames, algorithms etc etc. I couldn’t explain what any of them are.

At my beginner level (Basic CSS @FCC) what is most important to learn alongside FCC and what would be pointless to learn at this stage?

My goal is to become proficient in web development not software.

Thanks guys,

1 Like

almost everithing here actually

but you can find a good documentation website (for example devdocs.io) and consult that as needed, without worrying to much about other sources

with just html and css you are barely brushing the surface of what’s web development.

for now you could just keep going with the freecodecamp curriculum

1 Like

Based on what you said, I would keep working on HTML/CSS/JS, both at FCC and at other sites, blogs, YouTube, and beginner/intermediate books. I would download Visual Studio Code and build a bunch of websites and learn how to deploy them in your 1) browser, 2) using http-server, 3) in real hosting online.

Once I could build a site with a fixed navbar, hero page with centered button, three-column centered section, and a contact form; and can do beginning DOM manipulation like using event handlers to make my web pages do simple fun stuff, then I build a bunch of toy projects in JavaScript like quizzes, drum machines, clocks, etc. Once I can do a little of that, I would take Wes Bos’s 30 JS course, in which he teaches you how to do 30 vanilla JS projects.

Once you’ve done this, you’ll be able to:

make a basic web-site from scratch
do lots of cool stuff in vanilla JS
be able to deploy a real website

At that point, you’ll want to bear down and finish JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures here at FCC, and you will probably have a good idea of what you want to explore next.

2 Likes

Super helpful thank you. As I know nothing at the moment I guess as I grow I’ll come to know more fo what I need. For now it’s very confusing but I’ll get there.

That link is brilliant.

This is great, cheers.

Even though it doesn’t make much sense to me right now, I know if I can break through the beginning stage what you said will become obvious. I’ll make a note of this.

Thank you once again.

What I said was not that user-friendly, but if you take it line-by-line and just google it, there are so many resources that will get you what you need. It all builds from what comes before, and it will all make sense to you in time. Good luck!

1 Like

Even though words like ‘bootstrap’ mean nothing but boot strap and stack just reminds me of shelves I’m excited that I’ll soon read this thread back and know how to implement them.

Thank you

1 Like

My answer is really generic but also really accurate.

The most important skill to learn is how to learn effectively.

Told ya ;D

So the reason why I point out the ability to learn effectively is because when it comes to tech there is always more to learn. This doesn’t mean you need to be a genius in everything you set out to do, but you should know how well you can absorb materials. You should know what works for you so you can learn what you need when you need it, and understand how you can improve your process.

Its one thing to learn X, Y and Z, its another to learn how you learned X, Y and Z. If you find out you don’t learn very effectively by watching youtube, and learn more getting more hands on, then go get more hands on earlier. Not everyone learns at the same pace, or as effectively using the same methods, what works for one person might not work as well for the next.

As you pointed out there is more content to learn, but if your just starting out understanding how to find the best possible “learning approach” for yourself is the important thing.

Web development is software development. Its possible the two terms mean something else to you though. :thinking:

3 Likes

My answer is really generic but also really accurate.

The most important kill to learn is how to learn effectively.

Told ya ;D

So the reason why I point out the ability to learn effectively is because when it comes to tech there is always more to learn . This doesn’t mean you need to be a genius in everything you set out to do, but you should know how well you can absorb materials. You should know what works for you so you can learn what you need when you need it, and understand how you can improve your process.

Its one thing to learn X, Y and Z, its another to learn how you learned X, Y and Z. If you find out you don’t learn very effectively by watching youtube, and learn more getting more hands on then go get more hands on earlier . Not everyone learns at the same pace, or as effectively using the same methods, what works for one person might not work as well for the next.

As you pointed out there is more content to learn, but if your just starting out understanding how to find the best possible “learning approach” for yourself is the important thing.

Very helpful, thank you.

Makes sense, as long as I’m learning and enjoying learning and being consistent then I’m doing something OK. I know I’ll have FCC as my foundation so I’ll always be progressing.

I think the hardest part is starting out as you have no reference but once the ball’s rolling you can better judge what comes next.

For some reason I was thinking of software as hardware which still doesn’t make sense. It’s been a long day, software/hardware/Snakes and boot laces!

I personally recommend doing 2 things:

• Continue learning the “core” fundamentals of what you want to do, so continue with fCC or whatever your currently doing :slight_smile:
  • Expand your knowledge horizon by randomly learning things around what your mainly focused on

So for example, if your learning about web development you could go read an article on JavaScript, or read an article about how the internet works, or learn about what a CDN is. Some of these things might feel “over your head” or make you realize you don’t know that much about a given area/subject and thats ok!. The purpose of randomly learning about these sorts of things is to give you context to what your mainly learning about!

Not only can it give you some inspiration, it will give you more awareness to how much you know, don’t know and can know. This might make some slightly depressed because they find out they don’t actually know that much, but you should realize early that you can’t learn everything. Your head will probably explode if you tried learn everything haha! However knowing what you don’t know gives you a vastly better perspective in being able to learn what you do need to know. If you know your weak in algorithms, and you know what algorithms entails its easier to go out and learn than if you have no clue what algorithms even is.

Again, you don’t need to be a genius in everything you read and learn about and FOMO can and will get the best of you at some point, but FOMO does give you some drive to learn more and keep learning. Just watch out for burnout and keep things in perspective and you chug along in your learning journey :slight_smile:

Good luck, keep learning, and keep building! :+1:

1 Like

Really appreciate this, thanks so much!

1 Like