As the javascript lessons progress

Yeah these are getting more and more difficult, as to be expected. But its gets frustrating over and over they say “write your own code”, but very clearly did not give nearly enough information in previous lessons for one to actually just write it from scratch. So you end up googling the shit out of it, kind of getting the layout from other people, and making it work. But even if I did piece everything together to get the solution. I don’t in anyway feel like i “wrote my own code”. Anyone else feel this way? Like maybe they should have included more than 1 base lesson on .map .filter and .reduce, maybe a couple examples? I’m just at the point where I can read code, I understand it. But when I haven’t seen a .map function in 30 lessons and they ask me to find a solution to a problem (that invariably should be a .map function), the map function isn’t exactly what comes to mind? I guess there is a reason that freecodecamp is, after all, free.

1 Like

Hello!

Check this post out for some details: Challenges on stuff I haven't seen yet?

I strongly recommend this, and after completing you can blitz through the FCC JavaScript section.

https://www.amazon.com/Smarter-JavaScript-tech-assisted-approach-requires/dp/1497408180

I had the same problem with higher order functions at first. I went off of FCC(gasp!) and watched some youtube videos, and another article from this guy who really loves .reduce. I’m not flying off the cuff with them, but I can make my way through now.

And the ‘write your own code’ just means don’t just copy paste. There’s only a handful of ways to pass those challenges, so there’s no way every entry will be actually unique. I usually peek at the hints, if I get stuck and when it shows something that I don’t know off hand, I google it, and write it from there.

I’ve also just skipped some, and came back later. I forgot where it was, but there was a section of like 6 challenges that I could not understand- as I was following them in order. I had to come back much later for them to make sense.

I have found the exact same thing with regard to difficulty and for a few days, I was frustrated with some of the more tricky functions however I found going back over the curriculum for a second time to be helpful.

Really though after doing some research I stumbled on a youtube video where it was suggested the first thing you should always do when dealing with a user story is to draw a functional block diagram ( a prototype?) mapping out all the conditions as it’s easy to miss something and not fully understand the requirements, so I’ve been doing this and it has helped massively.

It certainly is easier the second time around, isn’t it? One thing you’ll find is that you recognize patterns in code, and learn to apply the tools you’ve learned toward solving those particular patterns. For example, if you have an array as input and you need an array as output, you’re likely to reach for the .map or .reduce methods, or maybe even .flatMap. As you get more experienced, you recognize more and more different patterns and have a larger toolbox to choose from. This process never really ends, no matter how good you get, and that’s a good thing.