I just completed all the JavaScript challenges and lessons, I still don't feel comfortable with it. What should I do now?

I am noob and I just completed all the Javascript lessons and challenges. I feel like I still don’t understand it. I used a lot of resources and asking around to complete the challenges, but I still don’t know why certain syntax is used. Is anyone else having trouble with JavaSvript? I feel like html and CSS is so easy, but Javascript is a monster. Should I just do the lessons again? Are there any other resources I should use to learn Javascript better? I am still not comfortable with Javascript! I feel confused when I look at Javascript codes. My brain gets jumbled. What should I do?

5 Likes

Do it again! Do some CodeAcademy.

3 Likes

Don’t panic. There are a lot of resources you can dive into. Go to medium and search JavaScript. There are a lot of articles that will recommend you good books about Js. From books for beginners to intermediate to really pro one. When I finished my personal portfolio I felt that I know nothing about CSS and HTML. Free code camp just opened a window for me. I need to go deeper and find out all the answers myself. So I started researching. Reading documents about bootstrap. Find a lot of tutorials on YouTube and implement them.

2 Likes

Here is a link for my previous comment on the similar question, hope this helps!

1 Like

Go to Codewars to practice JS. I’m using it and it makes a huge difference. When you solve a task you can check how others did it and learn multiple ways to get the same result. www.codewars.com/r/Ot2CPA

5 Likes

I suggest you to work on some real project using vanilla JS. Try this https://javascript30.com/ then come back to FCC tke all those challange again. Best of luck

3 Likes

Sounds like you where able to handle the syntax well enough. As far as knowing why and when to use different functions you may want to mix it up with a higher level overview of concepts and best practices in js such as prototypical inheritance, es2015, modular and DRY (don’t repeat yourself). Also, write lots of code maybe a personal project that interests you and reference open source, docs, libraries, and frameworks to see how to make dreams into reality! Good luck!

1 Like

I just started reading the book You Don’t Know JavaScript, so you might wanna check it out if you want to understand JavaScript in-depth. It’s totally free and can be found and read on GitHub. I can’t comment on it yet as I’m still in the very beginning, but I thought I’d just leave it here. Also I would like to say that what you’re feeling is normal, and it takes time to learn coding.

I had pretty much the same question a few days ago. Someone suggested that maybe I would learn better with videos. They suggested The Complete Node.js Developer Course 2.0 by Andrew Meade which can be found on Udemy. I actually ended up not getting that one. I got The Web Developer Bootcamp by Colt Steele because it seemed like a better value and it does focus heavily on JS but it covers so much more. It has great reviews and the instructor is a professional teacher of bootcamps that cost up to $21,000. The information included in the course is the same he uses in his bootcamps. I have stopped where I am on FCC and I’m going to complete the Udemy course before I continue here. You can search for coupons that bring the cost of the course down to $10 right now. Also read https://www.quora.com/Is-it-common-to-try-a-program-like-FreeCodeCamp-and-learn-that-coding-isnt-for-you-but-another-role-on-a-technology-team-is-tester-support-etc. I wish you the best of luck.

Just found this. All the resources you need is here. Go check it out!

1 Like

@saturnsbelt703 I know exactly how you feel. I’'d originally started learning javascript from codeacademy several years ago. I finished the course and the assignments etc, then wandered off feeling like nothing had stuck. Like you said didn’t know why something was used, what it is was for etcetera. Then I’d meanderred and fell upon freecodecamp and progressed uptil the algorithms hit a block went away and came back and found this time around I could solve things more easily and figured out how to use the console and log to think my way through errors and blocks. Even so I still meandered off and felt I really had no handle on Javascript or using it in the wild.

Eventually I stumbled across veteran developer and mentor types, one of which suggested having a blog and focusing on one language or better still on a narrow area of that. With that in mind I start a blog (www.jsunscripted.com for the cheap plug). You don’t need your own domain or anything; it can be just a free blog from blogger or wordpress.

I actually started writing about things I was doing/learning in FCC and how I overcame it or just writing about the particular function or nuances of that in javascript. It’s been a long time since I started learning javascript and i’m no where near competent but now I have a better idea and feel for it. I no longer feel like an impostor. As in I have a good understanding of javaScript constructs and how when to use, chain them in very light object oriented patterns.

At the moment i’m doing this course called Asynchronous Programming with JavaScript which is well planned, relatively easy to follow through and gives you a good idea of a particular style of JavaScript programming; it’s paid for but you can audit it for free. I’m learning about callback functions etcetera and even though some bits don’t stick, don’t make sense overall it gives me new JavaScript usages while reinforcing the basics and what not

I guess it takes time and practice and attempting to go more than you already know, but eventually you will feel you’re getting somewhere.

2 Likes

I’m doing codecademy. I felt similar just finishing the basic JavaScript early yesterday. The rest of the day I did codecademy JS which was just a nice review and I’m honestly feeling better about what I’m learning and retaining. For me the Basic JS @fCC was a whirlwind of new information. So much information I couldn’t keep simple syntax straight making every little line a challenge. I’m feeling better about it now though and am glad I found a review process that I feel is working well for me. Good luck, keep going!

If you’ve got all the fundamentals of writing the code down you should definitely check out this video on youtube. 3.5 hours and it covers javascript as a language in very clear detail. It’s a really cool resource for debunking the WHY and HOW of javascript

Start thinking about something, anything, and write in pseudocode and start writing the pseudocode into code from top down. then place it in gitHub and/or your website.

Summary, Do the bold things listed above.

If your not going through a guide within FCC as of yet, I’m heavily in here at the moment (I’m a fellow newbie (with a few years under my belt of going through the “lessons”)):

https://forum.freecodecamp.com/t/computer-guide-computer-science-and-web-development-comprehensive-path/64470

Within, there’s a great course directed towards what you may need to go through. The course is “Effective Thinking Through Mathematics”. It has helped me to think more and write the program given (from scratch). Now I’m thinking like I’m in the Matrix sometimes as I’m outside and not interrupted for a moment(s).

try out http://www.w3schools.com tutorials on JavaScript. They offer simple explanations of how things work, a space to play with each one and simple test exercises at the end with the answer available so you can see what you are doing wrong.

1 Like

This.
I can do the challenges well, and I can do them in within 15 mins. I understand everything that’s going on in a funciton, etc. This is because of the time I spent with codewars.

Even if you decide to do another tutorial, or read a book. Any new information would be multiplied if you’re coming from the kind of solid foundation you’ll get by doing codewars challenges.

1 Like

I felt the same way when I finished the JS section. I still don’t completely understand JS syntax yet especially when setting up functions and loops. I took a break from FCC curriculum because I kept hitting mental blocks when trying to do exercises in the Basic Algorithm Scripting section. But I’ll leave a link that contains a whole curriculum on learning Javascript for beginners. All you need is the Beginning Javascript book to go along with it (it costs like 30 USD if you don’t mind paying that much). I’ll leave a link to Amazon for that book also. And once I feel comfortable, I’m going to go back and continue the FCC curriculum. The book is excellent, in my opinion, on breaking down how to properly construct Javascript code and it goes into very clear, concise detail on what each piece of code means. Just follow the curriculum on the site step-by-step. I hope this helps and good luck with Javascript!

P.S. If you start going through the chapters in the Beginning Javascript book, I strongly recommend doing all the Try It Out Exercises in each chapter and the practice exercises at the end of each chapter. Not only do these examples help you learn problem solving when it comes to constructing code, but they also help with a lot of muscle memory when it comes to coding. Just like any skill, you need repetition to help you advance.

1 Like

Watchandcode.com - Practical Javascript (FREE)
Best of bests for noobs like us , you’ll see many people recommending in many forums.
It was a game changer for me, I was very frustrated with Javascript before, you MUST give it a try, it’s free!
:v:️:+1: Good luck!

1 Like

I know this was for the OP, but thanks for recommending it. I’m going to start using watchandcode.com as another resource.

1 Like

why not try some of the basic algorithms in the FCC map? And use mozilla’s developer network for support. You’ll understand a lot more once you go through some of those.