Bugs in the HTML/CSS Penguin tutorial

I just wanted to let the admins know, that a few times now on the penguin project for html/css, I was prompted on a few different steps to create a div, and did so correctly, but the program could not read it as correct for some reason. I know before I was told it could be my browser plugins, but being that it doesn’t prevent me from taking most of the questions I leave them in. The adblocker is off.

Thankfully i was made aware you made the steps skippable which is a great feature. I still feel I should report when bugs come up so that you guys can optimize the tests.

Thanks so much!
James

Can you share the code that you think should pass but doesn’t?

Well I had tried to but apparently as soon as I close the first div on this forum with <> the whole code dissappears

which might be whats happening with my penguin project and hence why it is not reading the divs. It happened on several steps where the only prompt was to make a div with a certain class.

The forum will interpret html tags. Following is instructions on how to post code:

When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (').

1 Like
<div class="sun"></div> 

Thanks so much for that correction! Excuse my ignorance as I don’t know what I don’t know. But as far as I know that’s the correct answer, I even went a step ahead and checked. This was true each of the times I was prompted to make a div element but the program did not read it as correct.

It depends on what else is around it. Please post all of the code that you think should pass but doesn’t.

1 Like

From step 5 of the same.

body {
  background: linear-gradient(45deg, rgb(118, 201, 255), rgb(247, 255, 222));
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
  width: 100%;
  height: 100vh;
  overflow: clip;

}

Step 13, another div prompt.

<body>
    <div class="left-mountain"></div>
    <div class="penguin"></div>
    <div class="ground"></div>
  </body>

Step 19, another div prompt.

(new users are only allowed 2 links it said)

<body>
    <div class="back-mountain"></div>
  </body>

And there is the one from this post, step 24

<body>
    <div class="back-mountain"></div>
    <div class="sun"></div>
  </body>

There were a few of these kinds of errors in previous projects as well, where the code seems to be what it should but it does not progress. If i have more time later I might let you know about those as well. Just to improve functionality of the site. I appreciate that I can skip past a step if there is a technical issue.

Thanks,
James

What are your system and browser?

The code you posted passes for me so I’m guessing it is an issue local to your system/browser.

1 Like

im using mac 10.9.5 OS and firefox browser with a few plugins and stuff

Well, it’s gotta be something specific to your setup. Try it in Chrome with no plugins. I’m sorry, but there is only so much we can do to help diagnose something on your system.

I’m no Mac expert but that sounds like an old OS version (looking at the Wiki page).

Is the browser the latest version at least? As said, you might also try in a different browser. Whichever one lets you use the latest version.

1 Like