Can I teach freeCodeCamp to kids under 13 years old?

Edit: Thank you so much for helping me with this question!

Hello! I am thinking of starting a coding club at my school, to teach the basics of HTML, and CSS. I was wondering if I could use freeCodeCamp as a supplement to the teaching? I will be teaching people under 13 years old. In the terms of service, it says: “Our Services are not directed to children younger than 13, and access and use of our Services is only offered to users 13 years of age or older. If you are under 13 years old, please do not register to use our Services. Any person who registers as a user or provides their personal information to our Services represents that they are 13 years of age or older.”

I’m wondering if my students didn’t register for an account if they can still use freeCodeCamp.
I tried looking on the fourm, but could only find this topic: freeCodeCamp for schools, which didn’t answer my question.

Thanks in advance!
James

Edit:

As @camperextraordinaire was saying:

So anyone who has authority in freeCodeCamp (@QuincyLarson maybe?), may you help me with guidance to this problem?

1 Like

I suspect that applies mostly to the forum and chatroom.

1 Like

Is this allowed under freeCodeCamp’s terms of service?

Yes - this is because in the US, there’s a law called COPPA that makes it very complicated to allow services to collect any information about people under 13. So this applies to pretty much all websites and apps.

As @camperextraordinaire pointed out, the kids are welcome to use freeCodeCamp as long as they don’t create an account or submit any personal information. We don’t store any data from people who don’t create accounts. This said, 100% of freeCodeCamp’s challenges and content are available without needing to create an account.

I hope this is enough information, and that this doesn’t pose too much of an inconvenience for you and your learners.

Thanks for helping us spread word of the freeCodeCamp community, and for helping young people get interested in coding!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! The club starts tomorrow. So excited! :grinning:

3 Likes

I realize that this is an old thread, but as I was looking up the same topic, I thought I’d note that the lessons are not available without an account anymore.

1 Like

@camperextraordinaire Ah, I found it. It’s not really obvious that the lessons are there at first if you’re coming from the main screen as there’s the big login yellow button, and the list of classes that don’t instruct on what happens when you click on them, so it seems like the only way to view the classes is to sign in first.