Certificates of Completion

Certificates of Completion

In your opinion, and with justification, when I obtain the Front End Development Certification, which I calculated to have 472 hours worth of learning and coding, would this be something I could put into say, a resume? (Of course, this goes for the others, too.) For each I would put down with their own dates of completion from start to finish and their respective lengths along with a short description of each.

This might sound as something that is ‘silly,’ but this could be very useful for someone like me who is not in college yet nor do I have a job. If something like this could be used as valid proof and experience for some type of internship right now that I could learn off of, that would be great.

Note: I actually haven’t finished anything on here yet, I’m pretty new. Almost done with HTML5 and CSS though, loving this website

I would definitely include it. I wouldn’t make if the center of my pitch, but under a heading like “Certifications” or something like that. I wouldn’t bother with start dates. I would just list something like:

Front End Development Certificate      Free Code Camp      June, 2017

I think you should spend more time talking about the technologies you’ve learned and directing them to your portfolio. I guess if you wanted you could list the technologies/languages/libraries/frameworks you worked on for the certificate. But if it takes up too much room under each cert, then I’d just have a section where they are listed together.

I think the portfolio where you show what you can do is more important.

I often wonder if the choice of the word “free” in the name of the site was an unfortunate choice. I understand that it makes sense in terms of advertising, but it sort of “cheapens” the impact on the resume, imho.

Of course I would include it (in fact, I have). You put effort and commitment into it, right? You put time into it as well, just as you would into your college degree. So why would you include your college degree in your resume and not this certificate?

What I’m saying is that the certificate itself should not be regarded for its prestige as much as the effort that was put into earning it. Ultimately, that is the value companies are looking to get out of possible employees - they want someone who can invest time into something substantial and follow-through with. Someone who can get started with something and finish it.

FreeCodeCamp certifications are a testimony of those skills. Happy coding!

Cheers,

Hanna