Cloud9 c9.io alternatives for the backend challenges - What is your experience with other providers/clouds?

Okay, I’m off building my portifolio now (Do check it! click me)

okidoki thx for your input. i will review all the services that you have suggest. your portfolio page looks nice

1 Like

Digital Ocean

• no free trial
  • smallest offer starts at $5 per month

Codebunk

• free trial without being able to save anything
  • it executes code (e.g. ipython for py code, node for js code)
  • no commandline to run how-to-npm

hmm. i would prefer www.repl.it

1 Like

Kobra.io

• easy Oauth registration (e.g. github, google, fb, twitter, etc)
  • I couldn’t figure the purpose of this app …
  • no commandline to run how-to-npm
1 Like

Floobits.com

• classic registration (email, pw) or github oauth
  • 1 free public workspace
  • you to install Flootty to get a terminal running => no commandline out of the box to run how-to-npm
1 Like

codebox.io

... This doesn't happen often, but it looks like something is broken. Hitting the back button and trying again might be your best bet. If that doesn't work you can head back to the homepage.

There might be more information on our status page which is reporting Minor Service Outage.

codeshare.io

• no registration required to start using inspect
  • however it is just an online text editor that have nothing to do with backend stuff

Digital Ocean
It’s just great.
I have been using it for half a year (since I started my first Fullstack project) and I have never had problems with the server hosting.
They have some great tutorials for beginners, even for hosting Node.js server (it helped me a great deal)
I pay 5$ every month.
I can even pay after a few months if I don’t have the money at the same time - once I had nearly 12$ debt which I eventually paid. They are very trustworthy.
I fully recommend using Digital Ocean.

1 Like

Can’t people just develop the back end challenges locally and push to Heroku? What is the advantage of cloud-based development?

would love to know more too - I’ve just started using Ubuntu on a VM and am trying to see if I can run Nginx on my old laptop (that I’ve just busted trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 16 and now it’s gone black). But I wonder, if (and when) I’ve jumped all those hoops, what’s the procedure for the challenges?

PS: I’m not doing all that to make my life more complicated but because - g know why - I understand more that way. I need at least some physical representation of what I’m dealing with…

So I made an account with CodeAnywhare but don’t know how to work with it. Looks very different from FCC video with Cloud9. Can anybody help me?

with regard to digital ocean and/or heroku (or cloud9 I guess) … given we need 8 instances up and running (backend projects) isn’t the cost prohibitive?
(I have tried cloud9 but on the free plan instances shut down after a few hours.)

I know this is a late post, but Quincy brought up this problem on github:
https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/freeCodeCamp/issues/15044

He recommends that you use Glitch.com

thanx for the link!
was hoping not to have to use glitch as you have to set up db with another 3rd party, better get to it I suppose :wink: