Crazy requirements for Front End Developer jobs?

I’m still learning and getting familiar with the basics of front end development, but I was checking local job listing to see what requirements are like in my area. Of course, they all list HTML, CSS, and Javascript, but many of them also have a hundred other things under Required Experience. Things like PHP, mySQL, SaSS, AngularJS, Node.js, MongoDB, JSON, AJAX, Bootstrap, jQuery. One even wanted “fluency with photoshop”. Typically, these postings in my area have roughly half of those skills that I mentioned listed.

I feel a bit overwhelmed as someone trying to break into front end development. Do work places expect people to have all of these skills? Is it possible to break into this field without these or do I just have to buckle down and learn them?
My initial goal is of course, HTML, CSS, Javascript, but do I also need to add three or four of these skills to my list? Or can I geet a job without them initially?

Of course, I’m willing to learn them, I’m just trying to ascertain exactly how much is required to start gaining professional experience.

Any help with this is appreciated.

2 Likes

They cast a big net with wide requirements, but in the end, they’ll just hire the best from the bunch that actually applied that also accepts their salary offer.

So after I’m feeling comfortable with the main stuff should I start shooting out applications? Or do I need to learn node.JS and various other frameworks/CSS precompilers etc. before applying do you think?

Hi,
Basic skillls you need are HTML, CSS and as Javascript. PHP, NodeJS and MySQL are either server-side or database skills. By this list you can apply for full stack developer and companies who want to hire excellent frontend developer will basically ask for Javascript. Of course, HTML and as much CSS are assumed. When you have good Javascript skills any company who think out of the box will hire you because React, AngularJS, Ember etc. are Javascript frameworks and can be taught to someone who is good at Javascript and vice versa doesn’t really apply.
Companies who seek both back end developer and front end developer either dont know what they are looking for or they are trying to list as many skills to see if they can get someone with all these by chance.

My tip is to grasp Javascript and apply for any job that has this kind of crazy requirements. HTML and CSS are assumed of course. Just don’t feel intimidated by long list of requirements, learn Javascript good and submit your CV.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know. It’s up to whatever company you’re applying for. What I’m saying is you can’t read their minds. You don’t really know what exactly is going on, the politics behind the scenes, what they’re looking for, or if the HR guy just threw this job posting and put a bunch of keywords that he knows the company uses.

The actual project manager may just be looking for some guy that can help in a specific area that knows X and Y and Z… he goes to HR and says I need a guy to join my team. And HR just throw a bunch of these requirements, A, B, C, D and X, Y, Z in the job posting.

Or the project manager says "I need a guy that knows A, B and C… but 6 months down the road, I’ll have a project that needs X, Y, Z. But really, I just want a guy that can do A, B, C right now, asap! " And HR includes X, Y, Z in job posting.

Just be honest about what you know, and don’t know. I think in the end, somebody that’s a fast learner and excited in continuous learning will be more valuable to a company.

@owel I totally agree, there are often confusion within company about what they really need. As a matter a fact rare ones do know in the long run what they need. HTML/CSS and especially Javascript is must have for web developer if we are talking front end. If I would be asked in the inteview for a front end developer if I know PHP I would ask for double salary so learn the basic 3 good, be very comfortable with Javascript and sure be honest and aware how much you know. One serious company I know who really know what they need recently asked just for one skill - that is Javascript, but at master level. And they are very successfull because of that.

I find this post really interesting because I also feel the same way, I want to land a remote job but all these long requirement lists make me feel that I’m not up for it yet and to take a step back and start learning all these frameworks and technologies when I only know Java, I don’t feel like I’m at expert level but I have a good grasp of working with OO Principles and I apply them on a regular basic, and also refactoring, RegExp and stuff, they ask for guys with 8+ years of experience and maybe I don’t consider myself a total expert at Java, but at least I consider myself at intermediate level at least, I’ve been able to deliver on critical projects at my company where I’m the only programmer, and they were projects that at first I thought I might not been able to do. I guess that I’m afraid of being rejected mostly but maybe I should start applying more and worrying a bit less

@mr2much If you are great Java developer you can learn these things, just don’t lose confidence, HR people don’t like that. Frontend is little different then backend but take a few months to scan stuff through and apply, Java will be more then appriciated by any company. Remote jobs are demanding but for mid level Java developer I’d say 3 months will be enough to go for it. Javascript will change to support classes more widely and Angular 2-4 have all that ready now. So good OOP skills will grant you success in long run but for now just take 3 months to go through frontend basic skills I mentioned above and apply.

1 Like

I have been a Front End Developer for over ten years. The requirements have changed drastically in the past few years. It is very easy to become un-hirable unless you have Angular JS, React JS, Node JS and MongoDB on top of the massive amount of experience with CSS, Vanilla JavaScript. HTML, Photoshop, Illustrator and so on listed on your skillset.

I feel a couple things went on here. One, is that these new frameworks and libraries which appeared seem to be geared for programmers coming in from JAVA and C#. The way they use JavaScript, within Angular especially, is much more familiar to them. Therefore, the “Front End Market” became flooded with very talented programmers from a different sector of the industry. This starts to either push out the existing Front End Developers, or force them to learn more.

I would also say that employers would be interested in hiring somebody that can wear multiple hats. In turn the employer only has to hire one person instead of multiple. This saves a lot of money.

The worst of my opinion would be that the employer posts a job with the title “Front End Developer” so they can pay them significantly less. The title says one thing and the requirements say something else. It’s shady, but definitely not unheard of.

My advice depends on how much you care about your chosen career path. You may know how to get your application working very well. However, if you didn’t write it in the latest industry standards, it really doesn’t mean much. If you do not keep up with the evolving industry, you are not going to be hirable. You have no control over where it goes.

1 Like
  1. Plan your projects. The first mistake and surprisingly very common even with senior developers is that most of us don’t plan. …
  2. Be Proactive. …
  3. Be curious. …
  4. Invest in your skills. …
  5. Don’t say YES to everything. …
  6. Don’t say NO to everything. …
  7. Find a mentor. …
  8. Stay active.
    People working as an Entry Level Front End Web Developer in your area are making on average $58,095 per year or the same as the national average annual salary of $58,095 . ranks number 1 out of 50 states nationwide for Entry Level Front End Web Developer salaries.
    One doesn’t really need a college degree to become a professional front-end web developer as companies generally hire you on the basis of professional portfolio and not on the basis of education level. Also, … A career as a web developer is viable in the long run.