Data structures and algorithms learn or not

hi,
I am stuck at some of basic algorithms scripting, some of them I can solve on my own but some not…I was wondering is it necessary to go learning data structures and algorithms from books and try to understand it all from zero to make it possible to solve algorithms offered in freecodecamp curriculum, or should I better go make some projects…? it is frustrating to dont know how to read and solve problems…If anyone can tell me is it worth it to learn data structures and algorithms and if I learn basics should I be able to solve intermediate and basic problems…
and… how learning and knowing data structures help me to understand algorithms, algorithms is a task, recepy for solving problem and data structures is knowing how data is stored, how two of that is connected
thank You

Join the club. This is hard stuff.

I was wondering is it necessary to go learning data structures and algorithms from books and try to understand it all from zero to make it possible to solve algorithms offered in freecodecamp curriculum…

In general, it is necessary to learn. They come in handy in coding, show up on a lot of interviews, and will improve your “coder brain”.

Do you have to learn from books? Do you have to learn from FCC? Do you have to learn them all right now? No. One thing that I don’t like is that FCC has them all at once, hitting you like a relentless machine gun. I wish they were sprinkled through other material, but that doesn’t fit the FCC model. But there is no reason why you can’t skip around.

… or should I better go make some projects…?

That is a viable option. Or skip ahead to the next FCC certification and work on that for a bit, skipping back and forth. If you’ve made it past the Functional Programming section of the JS curriculum, them you’re probably fine to skip ahead for now.

it is frustrating to dont know how to read and solve problems…

Again, very normal. Algorithms drive us all a little crazy.

If anyone can tell me is it worth it to learn data structures and algorithms and if I learn basics should I be able to solve intermediate and basic problems…

Yes.

how learning and knowing data structures help me to understand algorithms, algorithms is a task, recepy for solving problem and data structures is knowing how data is stored, how two of that is connected

The two are somewhat related. Yes, the distinction you make is valid. But sometimes the algorithm you choose will depend on how to data is stored/shaped. Is it in an array? A linked list? A tree? A hash table? Understanding how these work and interact with different algorithm techniques will help you make more informed choices about how to store and process data and how to solve problems depending on how the data is stored.

But again, this is frustrating stuff. It takes time. Don’t assume that this is easy for everyone and you are the only one struggling. Take your time.

I would also say, once you solve an algorithm, look up other people that have solved it and see what they are doing. There may be blog posts explaining their thinking. There may be youtube videos where they talk you through it.

The more algorithms you solve, the easier it gets. You add that algorithm to your quiver, and you start to train your “algorithm brain” to start to see similar problems. As you do even more, you start to develop a “spidey sense” about what would be good approaches. But it takes time. And it takes a lot of struggling and frustration.

2 Likes

it make more sense now thanks, I will try books first

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.