Dealing with forgetting what I learn

Hi there. After completing a project, I feel I forget a lot of what I learn. I have to consistently review the code I have written to feel confident about my learning. It’s an overwhelming feeling. Is this happening to anyone else?

You will never remember everything about a language, instead you can become really good at searching the documentation and that’s really what’s needed

1 Like

Ah, I see. I’m thinking about starting the job application process. I’ve completed some projects but still don’t feel confident enough to say I’m a ‘programmer’. When does one get to that point when they can confidently say they’re a programmer?

I don’t intend to pursue a career in programming, it is just an hobby for now, but you will want to start as soon as possible if you want, as also job searching and interviewing are skills that need to be learned. Maybe leave the “I would really
Love to work there” positions for later, meawhile you can do experience in the job searching adventure

Yeah, this makes sense. Thanks!

I believe there is a point when you can say your a programmer.
It’s when you can be presented with a problem and be able to confidently provide a description of what you would do to solve it, or a description of why you can’t.

That answer might be super vague, but for the most part it’s true. You should be able to know your skills well enough to approach basically any problem and at least know how you would go about it. Not necessarily know every single detail, or be right about your description 100% of the time, or even being able to solve most problems, but enough to start breaking the problem down Breaking down problems into smaller problems is the gist of what programmers do. Obviously there’s more to it than that, but that is more or less what I would consider to be a “programmer”

Another side of this is knowing what you don’t know. You could call yourself a programmer and not even know how an if statement works, knowing your weaknesses is important, as if your given a problem that is out of your league, you can ask for help, or look into the problem more in depth.

Another way to think of it is, at some point in your journey of learning to be a “programmer” you get big headed enough to know some stuff, but sensible enough to know you don’t know everything. I’d say at that point you’ve become a programmer.

PS it seems like my argument might let some people who hardly know any programming to be called “programmers”, but I’d consider them just “naive programmers” haha

1 Like

As someone who frequently forgets things, I’ve been programming for about a year and a half now. Some of the tricks I have learned are

• persistance is key. Stay at it, even on the days you dont want to prgram, atleast re-read or look over your code.
  • Get familiar with documentation, googling, and sites like stack overflow that help fond solutions.
  • Write stuff down on a notebook, or empty text document.

Pretty much, you just gotta surround yourself with the content to it can STAY in your brain.

1 Like

I totally agree with everyone. I have a notebook that I write down what I’m learning because I feel it gets ingrained better when I write it in my own words as I’m learning. I still look back at my notes and at lessons to refresh my memory, but the more and more I code, the more and more I get better.

One big thing I do is that I keep the Project Feedback main screen open on one of my chrome windows and look at what people are posting for feedback all the time, every day.

Sometimes, when I’m getting frustrated with my project, I look at other people’s projects and try to fix them myself! :sweat_smile: But when I do that, I am refreshing my own skills, seeing how other people code, and it sometimes helps me with my projects! I’ve learned A LOT by scouring the Project Feedback page, so you’ll probably see me there a lot. I suggest you try to post on there too as often as you can. Even if you’re suggestion is wrong or whatever, other people will teach you and that person what’s right.

1 Like