Difference (other than version) between HTML & HTML5?

I want to start studying HTML + CSS, but I can’t seem to pin down which to learn. Basic HTML or HTML5. I know its a version difference, but if I learn HTML5, will that essentially teach me what I need to know from HTML?

Like, I know Python 3.6 and it gives me a general knowledge of Python 2.X but obviously there are differences. Same with CSS, do I go study basic CSS or go for CSS3 ?

I don’t have a current use case/purpose to study either except that I want to learn it. Ideally, I’d learn enough to (way down the line) net me a remote working job, but that’s a far flung hope and I mostly just want to learn to learn. Sorry if this has been asked a ton, tried to find it but didn’t see anything
fedloan.irs.gov

Hi there!

HTML and HTML5 are a version difference, like you said. When learning HTML5, most things in HTML5 are the same as HTML. But when you learn HTML (in general), you’re simply just learning the latest piece of HTML. Same goes for CSS.

Have you had a message from @discobot? This robot can help you anytime or teach about this site.

1 Like

Besides what I-can-code mentioned you will also want to use html5 and css3, because of the new features included - that’s especially true for css3, because you can do cool animations. See for example this run down of 2019 examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R4_qWPLyuY

Besides animation there are also great new possibilities in terms of layout, with the two features call “grid” and “flexbox”. Some grid examples: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/10/css-grid-challenge-2017-winners/

From the wiki page of HTML5 (which kinda summaries it up pretty well):

The goals of HTML5 were to improve the language with support for the latest multimedia and other new features; to keep the language both easily readable by humans and consistently understood by computers and devices such as web browsers, parsers, etc., without XHTML’s rigidity

it extends, improves and rationalizes the markup available for documents, and introduces markup and application programming interfaces (APIs) for complex web applications.

Many new syntactic features are included. To natively include and handle multimedi and graphical content, the new <video>, <audio> and <canvas> elements were added, and support for scalable vector graphics (SVG) content and MathML for mathematical formulas. To enrich the semantic content of documents, new page structure elements such as <main> , <section> , <article>, <header> , <footer> , <aside> , <nav> , and <figure> are added. New attributes are introduced, some elements and attributes have been removed, and others such as <a> , <cite> , and <menu> have been changed, redefined, or standardized.
The APIs and DOM are now fundamental parts of the HTML5 specification and HTML5 also better defines the processing for any invalid documents

Also some of the new elements provide a better accessibility for screen readers and don’t require “aria”-properties.